8mm comfort pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

I like the 7mm comfort pens. Now I'm hoping to go a little larger, say 8mm with a Parker refill. Does anyone make a comfort pen that size, with both the top and bottom blanks turned to the same diameter?

Or do we have to invent something? :confused:

Mike...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

The Slimline Pro ... a PSI kit available from several vendors ... is my fave 8mm kit with Parker refill. I like to make it with one long 8mm tube and no center band. However it makes a very nice and solid pen with the 2 tubes and center band as designed.

I especially like it because it is a click pen. . I do not like the twist slimlines.

Last edited:

Silver

I have done the Simplicity which is a two tube 8mm kit.

Aaron at Laulau has them in stock.

I think the Simplicity has the chance of becoming the "improved" slimline kit in my oppinion..

mikeschn

The regal pen kit is nice but the center band is too small in diameter.

With the Comfort Pen center band being roughly Ø.449", I'd like to see something 1mm larger...

It looks like Simplicity switched from a comfort band to a beaded band...

So if I was designing an 8mm comfort pen, what would I do?

Well, let's start with the comfort band, and make it 1mm larger. Then lets take the twist holder, stretch the length and integrate the comfort band into it.

Hmmm, something like this perhaps?

So who can make me an integrated twist holder/comfort band? :biggrin::wink:

Attachments

• 8mmcomfort.png
    8mmcomfort.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 311

mikeschn

Well, it's beyond my capabilities, but you get the idea...

So back to the original question... does anyone make something that resembles an 8mm comfort pen?

Mike...

Attachments

• 8mmintegratedcomfortband.jpg
    8mmintegratedcomfortband.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

MTViper

Mike, I don't have one handy and don't have my micrometer in the office but I'll measure one tomorrow and post it around noon.

Steve

MTViper

Mike,

It's not a true center band, though. It is a connector where the transmission for the Parker refill screws in.

Steve

mikeschn

I have 10 of those kits coming... should be here by this afternoon. Guess what I'm making this weekend? :)

I notice that no one has commented on the bushing that would turn a pen into a comfort pen. Is it too difficult?

Mike...

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have 10 of those kits coming... should be here by this afternoon. Guess what I'm making this weekend? :)

I notice that no one has commented on the bushing that would turn a pen into a comfort pen. Is it too difficult?

Mike...

If you have calipers, the smaller bushings are fine, just measure and stay proud of what you need before starting your sanding.

If you don't have calipers - you will soon!. :wink:

mikeschn

I probably should have said center ring or center band... this is what I was referring to...

Well, let's start with the comfort band, and make it 1mm larger. Then lets take the twist holder, stretch the length and integrate the comfort band into it.

Hmmm, something like this perhaps?

So who can make me an integrated twist holder/comfort band? :biggrin:😉

Mike...

If you have calipers, the smaller bushings are fine, just measure and stay proud of what you need before starting your sanding.

If you don't have calipers - you will soon!. 😉

Last edited:

mikeschn

Well I turned my first Elegant American today.

Size wise, it's perfect, it just a little bit more than 1 notch up from the comfort pen. It's 12mm vs the 10.7mm of the comfort pen.

I was very careful not to get too aggressive with the barrel trimmer, keeping the lengths of the blanks as close to the length of the tubes as possible.

And prior to assembling the pen, I checked the twist mechanism and it worked well, and it was very easy to turn.

After assembling the pen, I found that the mechanism was very hard to twist.

So what does that mean? Is one of the tubes too long or too short? Suggestions welcomed...

Mike...

mikeschn

Aha... a secret message showed up in my inbox...

The message was, in essence, your top tube was too long. The fix, was to unscrew the top finial 1/2 turn and press it flush again.

Woohoo, it works perfect now!

I love secret messages!!!

Mike...

Last edited:

mikeschn

Well, I guess it's possible to make too many pens in one day...

I woke up this morning wanting more than anything else to make another 8mm Elegant American...

But I had 3 other pens to take care of first...

The first pen was some kind of a copper swirl acrylic. It turned out ok, so I used it to learn a little bit about photography.

The second pen was a black and white RP zen pen. It ended up with circular scratches in the black, so I had to backtrack and sand axially. Then that one turned out good.

The third pen was a simple strawberry mesh acrylic. Breezed right thru that one... :)

Finally, with the work out of the way, it was time to play... a pen for me to take to work tomorrow!!! Okay, Dark Red Synthetic Burl, 8mm, 24K gold Elegant American... let's do it... got the correct bushings... turned it... sanded it, micro meshed it... ah... looking good! Lets assemble this baby...

Press in the tip... press in the center band... press in the mechanism... screw it together... opps, it doesn't screw together... dang, why not?

Grab a beer, look at all the parts... Oh I see the problem... I got the short piece in the front and the long piece in the back... Disassemble pen...

Press the tip into the long piece... dang, the diameter is wrong...

Grab another beer...

Okay, so I could put the long piece back on the lathe and size it to match the tip. But the finale end is too small, and I can not put material back on...

So, here are my options...

1) Don't build it
2) Build it like it is, as a reminder to pay attention next time
3) Resize the long piece to match the tip

I opted for number 2. Probably shouldn't build more than 3 pens a day, eh? :laugh:

And just for S&G, here's the pic...

Mike...

P.S. Time to fire up the smoker to reverse sear a tri-tip for dinner!!! :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_5211a.jpg
    IMG_5211a.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 87

mikeschn

Something about falling off a horse and getting right back on...

I went downstairs and made another Elegant American... this time Marinara...

I got the blanks in the right order this time! :bananen_smilies026:

Woo Hoo!!!

Mike...

Attachments

• IMG_5212a.jpg
    IMG_5212a.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 97
Top Bottom