8mm caseing pen questions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregMuller

I would like some input on making a caseing pen useing the 8mm desinger euro style pen. I have made the slimline and cigar version and was looking at the 8mm useing 308 caseing. First problem I see is that the lower tube is much longer then the caseing. Not sure you can cut it and have the parker refill still fit. Also what to do with the coupling. Cover it or let it show. I know eagle uses this pen for many of his desigens so I am hopeing he will chime in here. So if anyone uses the 8mm desinger pen to make caseing pens any help would be welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

The 308 Winchester is a "short action" cartridge, and is about the right length to use with a slimline kit. You may have more luck with a 30-06 cartridge. It is a "long action" cartridge of the same caliber and may fit the longer kits better.

Regards,
Eric

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
IT would be possible as far as the length goes but I would try a couple with longer casings first.
The Tube for the Parker designer is about 2&3/8th's inches give or take and that cannot be altered.
the casing lenth for the WIN 308 is 2.015.You will come up a little short.
One way to make it work is to make a "long" wood style with the ground down tranny holder going up into a section of the upper blank that has no tube in the lower section.
Even with that you will have to stretch the neck to get a nice transition to the nib.
It can be done but it would not be my first choice for this type of pen.
When grinding down the gold ring on the tranny make sure you leave a "shoulder" so you don't push it in too far into the tube.
(DAMHIKT)

Fangar

Greg,

Hello. I have also had good luck with the 300 Winchester Magnums that I do too. I use a Perfect Fit for the internals and turn the transmission coupler down as Eagle mentioned. Using a reamned out Slimlin nib also helps the fit at the neck as the Perfect Fit and other style 8mm's Nibs are slightly large in OD at the neck joing.

30-06 is likely the best size, but the 300's make for a beffy pen (A bit slimmer than a cigar).

Cheers,

Fangar

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have made the 300 mags but even they are too long for my taste.
The casing is almost 2&5/8th's inches which makes it a little out of proportion to the top.
That's my opinion but I have made quite a few and have a good idea what works and what doesn't.
Though I have drilled out a SL nib for a PArker refill it can be tricky and leave you needing to "stretch" the tube by adding a shim under the tranny holder.
Try a few different ways, find out what works and learn to adjust when necessary without compromising the quality of the pen when its' finished.
(Never trust anyone who is a male and turns in a "frock"
[:eek:)])

M

Mudder

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Frock, shmock... I turn in a white kitchen apron. [:p]

I turn in the nude so I don't gets my clothes dirty [:0]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Frock, shmock... I turn in a white kitchen apron. [:p]

I turn in the nude so I don't gets my clothes dirty [:0]

OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Watch out what you catch in the lathe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom