8mm Barrel trimmer trick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

I have made over 50 seam rippers in the past 3 months and can't keep up with the orders. After drilling and gluing 17 8mm tubes last night I started to use my barrel trimmer 8mm to flush up my blanks. To my suprise, something that has never happened to me happened. The barrel tripper heated up some glue in the brass tube and got stuck. I was able to remove it and clean it out, let it cool down then tried again. Well this time it got so stuck in glue that I was unable to remove it. In my attempts, the brass tube came out of the blank with the barrel trimmer still in it. I even tried a punch but it wouldn't come out.

Today I drive to rockler to discover that they don't sell an 8mm, but inside of the 29.99 trimmer kit they include a 7mm pen tube to put over the 7mm barrel trimmer and tell you that is how to trim and flush up an 8mm tube. I was very skeptical. I ended up driving back home and trying it. Works great!

I will be ordering a carbide tipped 8mm on my next online order.

Anyone else have this problem with a trimmer getting stuck by glue in a brass tube?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CrimsonKeel

not permantly stuck but yeah once in a while mine will grab a bit. I started rough cleaning out my tubes with a Threaded rod. It helps grind out the larger chunks.

sbell111

I find that if you allow the glue to cure prior to milling the tube, then your mill shaft won't get stuck and the tube will not come out of the blank.

Top Bottom