8" bench top grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carsonbm

I want to spend about $200.00 on a 3/4 hp 3450 rpm grinder to use to sharpening lathe tools, I have been searching the INTERNET for 2 days now and i cannot make my mind which one to get. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

louisbry

Get a slow speed i.e. 1700 rpm and you will have better performance in sharpening lathe tools. More prone to heating the tool and loosing its temper with the faster lathe.

Crashmph

This kit will do almost everything you need to sharpen any lathe tools.

Woodturner's Sharpening Kit #148382
Contains the 8" Slow Speed Grinder, the Wolverine grinding jig and the Diamond Tip Wheel Dresser.
Price: $184.95

The grinder in the Kit was discontinued at Woodcraft and they only sell it in this kit for now. It already has good stones on it so you will not have to replace them. It is a 1750rpm grinder so you will not heat up the tools to badly while sharpening them.

Turner's Fingernail/Side Grinding Jig #125677
Price: $55.99
This Jig is used in conjunction with the Wolverine grinding jig to grind fingernail grinds.

These two together are all you will ever need for sharpening lathe tools.

johnnycnc

I got the Delta 8" variable speed (got mine at lowes for (?139.00?)
http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-GR450-ShopMaster-8-Inch-Grinder/dp/B0000B3AQQ

and put it on this stand:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Pedestal-Stand-For-Bench-Grinder/H7763

That's all in your budget.
I couldn't be happier with this grinder, the 8" is a better choice than 6" in my opinion, for a lot of reasons, and this Delta comes with a pretty good white wheel, better for lathe tools.
The gray wheel is good for lawnmower blades, junk like that.:biggrin:

I like to adjust the speed for the task at hand, and this is really a good setup for me.

Crashmph

The Woodcraft solution would be cheaper and you get the Wolverine Jigs for the sharpening as well. The stones on the Woodcraft Grinder are 120 Grit and 60 Grit as well.

Wildman

Would also recommend going to big box or other supplier in your hometown. Below is what I found in my town.
Lowes, Port Cable 8" VS $129.00
HD, Ryobi 8" VS $64.97
Sears online have a Rockwell 8" for $139.99 and Dewalt 8" for $175.99 both have ¾ hp.

Since all bench grinders coming from China today, buy locally. Easier to exchange or get a refund if necessary. Money you save on shipping can go towards buying friable wheels.

Top Bottom