7mm Twist Transmissions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

I have read about transmissions being tight and guys adding drop of oil to loosen them up.

My problem is...mine are too lose. When you write with the pens, the tip retracts back toward the transmission. I like the ones that when you twist them out they kind of hit a spot where they stay.

Anyone else had the lose transmission problem?

Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Knucklefish

My problem is same I think...

I have a couple of Saturn pens (7mm twist) that I use at work almost everyday. After a few months, I have been noticing that the tip retracts and the upper barrel turns too. At first this wasn't an issue but over time they are failing. Almost like the pressure used when pushing on the ball point when trying to write is making the tranny turn all by itself. Very annoying.
Any ideas how to fix would be appreciated!

snyiper

It could be the transmission is set a bit deep. try taking out the refill and seeing if the tranny hits that spot where it locks, if it does back the tranny out a hair. If not the trans needs to be replaced.

ossaguy

I notice that the ones that have no ring-like lines on the body were the best,and that the ones that have no lines were the loose ones.I figured the tighter ones were taiwan,the other ones were China.I bought a bunch of pen kits from Rockler when they were half price just to get that tranny,but now see that they switched vendors,and have the no-grooved ones in them.I just put a Saturn together that has that same super-light twist action,yet thankfully it feels like it has the lock detent working OK.I have ruined more than 1 tight trans by adding more than a drop of gun oil.If you put WD40 on it,its wrecked.I'd like to have a go-to source for better quality trannys,so hoping for more feedback in this thread.

Steve

sbell111

A 7mm transmission, properly installed cannot allow the refill to retract as you are writing. This is because as you twist the transmission, the refill extends and at the end of the twist, it drops down into a locked position. Transmissions that are pushed too far in do not allow the refill to extend far enough to get to the 'lock'. If one writes with such a pen, the refill will retract.

Knucklefish

Steve, I hear ya but that doesn't explain why the 2 pens I have this problem with worked just fine for several months. Its like they all of a sudden just started having the problem after I personally used them for my own business over a period of time. I just looked at the refills on both pens and they seem to have the proper clearance both in and out of the tip. Could the tranny have just "failed"????

A 7mm transmission, properly installed cannot allow the refill to retract as you are writing. This is because as you twist the transmission, the refill extends and at the end of the twist, it drops down into a locked position. Transmissions that are pushed too far in do not allow the refill to extend far enough to get to the 'lock'. If one writes with such a pen, the refill will retract.

RichB

I tryed to pull out the transmission, and it came apart. It was good just to see how it is made. If the refill extension is right it can't retract due to the lock. Pull one apart it is well worth it. Since I did that I have never had a problem. I tryed using a little Mineral sp. to loosen one up and it made it to loose. As far as I know, I don't think you can re-grease them. Hope this helps. RichB

sbell111

Steve, I hear ya but that doesn't explain why the 2 pens I have this problem with worked just fine for several months. Its like they all of a sudden just started having the problem after I personally used them for my own business over a period of time. I just looked at the refills on both pens and they seem to have the proper clearance both in and out of the tip. Could the tranny have just "failed"????
When the refill retracts, it is turning the mechanism (and the top half of the pen). I imagine that what you are seeing is that over time the mechanism has 'loosened up' and it is generally easier to extend and retract the refill than it was when you first made the pen. Now that it turns easier, the pressure of your writing is now enough to retract the refill while it wasn't when the transmission was new and stiffer to operate.

Knucklefish

Okay. Now just for grins I put in a different brand refill and tried writing with one of the pens I spoke of. Viola! Now it's working perfectly. Side by side they "appear" to be identical. One is a genuine Cross refill and the other is one (I'll call it an import) that comes in the kits. Turns out, the Cross refill is the one that is giving me the issue. Now that I look back, when I changed refills (put in the Cross) is when all this started. So, I put both refills under the mag glass and it does appear that the "import" one has a little (very little) bit more threads on the cap end. It actually does come out further because of this, and you can actually feel the "lock" that you spoke of.
I have to say this is a bit puzzling, but thats what I have found out.
Ever heard of this?

When the refill retracts, it is turning the mechanism (and the top half of the pen). I imagine that what you are seeing is that over time the mechanism has 'loosened up' and it is generally easier to extend and retract the refill than it was when you first made the pen. Now that it turns easier, the pressure of your writing is now enough to retract the refill while it wasn't when the transmission was new and stiffer to operate.

Top Bottom