7mm twist pen mechanism source needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

moonsilver

I have started making pens that are totally wood except for the brass tubes and the twist mechanism (I even have figured out how to make the pocket clips by laminating 3 layers of veneer) and was wondering if anyone knows of a place that sells just the twist mechanisms? I have emailed the places that I normally buy kits from, but they won't sell just the twist mechanisms. I hate to buy kits and just not use the points, clips, top pieces, etc., that's too wasteful.

Thanx in advance!!
Don in Alabama

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Woodcraft does. Usually in packets of five. Should be on their website but I normally pick them up at the store as they give a turner's club discount.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by moonsilver
<br />I have started making pens that are totally wood except for the brass tubes and the twist mechanism (I even have figured out how to make the pocket clips by laminating 3 layers of veneer) and was wondering if anyone knows of a place that sells just the twist mechanisms? I have emailed the places that I normally buy kits from, but they won't sell just the twist mechanisms. I hate to buy kits and just not use the points, clips, top pieces, etc., that's too wasteful.

Thanx in advance!!
Don in Alabama

Too bad you didn't beat the article in Wood turning Design about the clip.
How long have you been making them like that? The article is in the most recent issue.
It would be nice to see yours so I might have a comparison to go by.
Though I admire the craftsmanship and ingenuity of the one pictured in the article I am not crazy about the "clunkyness" of the pen

swm6500

Well Don, welcome to the group. Can't help you much on the twist mechanisms. BB packages some of his kits from bulk it looks like, maybe he would sell just the twist mechanisms.

moonsilver

Originally posted by cteaglesc

Too bad you didn't beat the article in Wood turning Design about the clip.
How long have you been making them like that? The article is in the most recent issue.

Well, to be totally honest...that article is where I first saw a how to make a pen like that...with no metal showing at all.[:0] [:D] [:I]

My first one is essentially the same as the one in the photograph in the article, just different woods; I'm still learning how to make pens on a lathe (segmented bowls are my favorite lathe projects) so I didn't try to get too fancy as I'm still figuring how to make a pen without using a mandrel.

btboone

Hmm... I got a pack of 7mm twist mechanisms from WoodCraft. They are snapped up by the regulars when they first come off the truck, but they had them.

moonsilver

Originally posted by btboone
<br />Hmm... I got a pack of 7mm twist mechanisms from WoodCraft. They are snapped up by the regulars when they first come off the truck, but they had them.

That would be great...if there were a Woodcraft store within 100 miles of here. And they will not sell them from their webpage, I asked.

btboone

That's strange. I wonder why. As I said they're very hard to find at the store because everyone stocks up on them. You would think they would do more sales online because of that. Maybe it's a loss leader intended to bring regulars back to the stores, where they buy more stuff.

moonsilver

Well, it seems odd that Woodcraft, Penn State Industries and all the other pen kit suppliers can buy the mechanisms, but NOBODY ELSE can!!

Do I smell a conspiracy? [:D]

airrat

Don I can check the local woodcraft tomorrow when I stop by if you like. Have no problem picking you up some and sending them off to you.

However, can also check the price to make sure for you as well. IF its cheaper to just buy the kits from BB or somewhere online and discard parts, that might be the way to go.

Might want to try to stay with the same brand of brass tubes as you do for the mechsnism. Seen some post talking about the slight difference between sizes of brass tubings. Not sure if it is that evident with the 7mm.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Call Woodturningz(1-888-PENKITS)
I aksed Fritz about it the other day. the have them or at least can get them and do sell them that way.
Are you making a wooden nib also?
Otherwise you might as well buy the whole components(kit)

fritzmccorkle

I've got good news. we just got some in the last few days. they come in packs of 10 and are $7 a pack. give me a call if you need some. we also sell 7mm tubing if you need that.

fritz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom