7mm tube delima???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shawndakin

I got a question about bullet pens. I got some spent casings today(30-06,30-30, and 270) and set them next to the slimline tubes but only the 30-30 was close in length. I made a pen with the 30-30 but how do you do it with the other longer calibers? Do they make 7mm brass tubing in extended lenghts that you cut down to size? If they do does anyone no where i can buy them? If not how do i make the shorter tubes work?

PenMan1

Shawn:
You'll get a million answers to this question. AND every one of those answers will likely be correct. My personal solution is to buy 10" pen tubes. Then I just cut them to the length I need on the band saw (this is a learned skill, be prepared to "mash" a few ends). They are available in 7mm, 8mm, 10mm and 3/8 from most of the pen supply houses. (Penn State, Arizona Silouhette, Bear Tooth Woods, Etc).

For the bigger sizes, I use the 12" plumbing pieces available at the hardware store. Unfortunately, my ACE hardward doesn't carry the metric sizes.

Respectfully submitted.

Last edited:

BigShed

Haven't done any 30-30, but for the .270 and .30-06 I use the top tube from a Euro/Designer set of tubes, then turn the excess off after soldering.

I buy Euro/Designer tubes from WoodenWhimsies, the longer tubes get used in .30-06 etc, the shorter ones in .308 etc.

I also have the 10" long 7mm tubes, but find that this saves time and actually works out cheaper.

Top Bottom