7mm drill bit - closest match?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hazmat74

What is the closest match to a 7mm drill bit? Mine snapped and I dont feel like running out to Woodcraft. I have two that a just a titch larger than 7mm. If I epoxy the tubes will that fill the gap or will everything be sort of wonky?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Be really careful when you turn the nib end---there is not much material there usually, you will be reducing that even further.

(Early use of sandpaper-----may get you a finished pen!!)

its_virgil

The answer to your question is letter J drill bit which is 7.0002mm
Another chart has the Letter J at 7.036mm. Yet another has the J bit at 7.04.
I use the letter J often with no problems.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

Wildman

Many years ago ran into trouble when 7mm bit from Packard Woodworks, did not drill holes big enough for 7mm tubes from WoodturningZ .

Eagle and several other pen turners used to recommend this drill bit index set along with digital fractional calipers.

115 Piece High Speed Drill Bit Set w/ Drill Index

Thought here is by measuring tube allows you to select best bit for the job. Additionally recommended a Drill Doctor to sharpen dull bit as required.

Prices for these items lot cheaper back then, but idea here would really help your current dilemma.

Yes, lot better drill bit index kits around.

JMHO, epoxy and polyurethane much better gap filling glue than CA. Have never used thick or gel/rubber CA glues.

mg_dreyer

When I do acrylic and paint the tube - I actually use a 9/32 drill bit (even if I have 1 7 mm around). I use 5 minute epoxy and have no issues.

Top Bottom