7mm Click Mechanism...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

..., is there such a thing?
A year or so back I had a request from and out of state customer for a thin click pen. She was aware of pens like the SL-Pro but insisted that it was too thick, she prepaid me for it because being the novice that I am(or at least was) I said "sure I can make you one". Well long story short,after researching for several days trying to find one or components I realized I couldn't make one and I refunded her money.:redface:

That scenario has been bugging me ever since. I want to try to make one again just for my own knowledge. I would use a Parker refill, no problem with it fitting 7mm tubes plus half the click mechanism is on the refill:cool: which should help.

Has anyone ever seen a Parker click mechanism that will fit in a 7mm tube?:confused:

The mechanism can't be more then 1/4"(6.349mm) in diameter.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

A schmidt skm192 click mechanism can be made to work in this type of application, but you would need to make a custom insert to attach it to the 7mm tube.

Ed

JD Combs Sr

A schmidt skm192 click mechanism can be made to work in this type of application, but you would need to make a custom insert to attach it to the 7mm tube.

Ed
I had seen that click-mech earlier and noted that it was the only one that seem available at less then 7.25mm. The insert you refer to would that be to screw the M4.2 x 0.35 threads into? Can't really tell how it works from the web photos. I am thinking about ordering one just to play around with.

JD Combs Sr

Yes, the insert would be to screw the mecanism into. Here's a drawing I got from Milan Jovanovic (Mechanisms and Taps) that shows one way of using it. But it's not the only way.

Ed
Thanks, that may be a big help later but another question. Is this a click mechanism or just a push mechanism. I see nothing to it that might click unless it is very small and internal. It is not spring loaded either as is some clickers.

efrulla

Schmidt Mechanisms

Where are you sourcing the Schmidt Mechanisms from. I have been trying to fond a source for the mechanisms but I have only found sources for the refills.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Ed McDonnell

Yes, the insert would be to screw the mecanism into. Here's a drawing I got from Milan Jovanovic (Mechanisms and Taps) that shows one way of using it. But it's not the only way.

Ed
Thanks, that may be a big help later but another question. Is this a click mechanism or just a push mechanism. I see nothing to it that might click unless it is very small and internal. It is not spring loaded either as is some clickers.

It's a click mechanism. You would likely want to use one spring on the front of the refill.

Ed

JD Combs Sr

Ed

It's a click mechanism. You would likely want to use one spring on the front of the refill.

Ed
Ed, I really appreciate the info. Any ideas on where to acquire the other two parts shown on the pdf sketch, they are not shown on Milan's site, at least not that I can find?

Ed McDonnell

Ed, I really appreciate the info. Any ideas on where to acquire the other two parts shown on the pdf sketch, they are not shown on Milan's site, at least not that I can find?

Those are parts you would make yourself. Make them out of metal, plastic...even closed grain hardwood. If you buy one of mechanisms to play with you will think of a lot of different ways to use it.

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:

JD Combs Sr

Update:
I ordered several of the components form the Richard Greenwald site for evaluation purposes. The three items that say "Push Mechanism" at the bottom of this page are "two position" devices. I refrained from calling them "click mechanisms" because they don't actually click, however, they do have two stable locked positions. They operate much smoother then the typical click mechanism. One of the items, the smaller brass one is the same as the one on the upper left of the Milans site page. All three mechanisms use a similar latching design. I can't see it but I believe there is a small steel ball inside that kind-of rolls from one latch position to the next as the push button is pressed.

None of the three have an internal spring as most of the kit type CMs I am familiar with do. A spring would have to be added and one on the refill would probably do the job.

The most positive thing about these mechanisms is that they can be fitted into a 7mm tube with some custom bushings(not turning bushings). The OD of the two similar CMs are real close to the same OD of Slimline hardware. I am going to try to put together one of these, the nickle plated one, with some Slimline hardware and a Parker refill and see if I can make a Slimline Click Pen.

Edit: BTW Ed, thanks a bunch for your info.

Last edited:
Top Bottom