7 mm Colt 5 sar pen bit flexing badly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allongo

Hey guys anybody using the colt pen bits, I'm having major problems with the 7mm its drilling crooked, you can watch it flex when starting and by the time it comes out the end its at least 1?8 inch off. tried staring slower , adjusted Dp , have a self centering vise clamped down. I think its too long , you just barely touch it and it flexes badly. Not much problem on the 8mm and bigger. Al

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnccutter

I use the Colt 5MM all the time and haven't had any troubles. have you compared the tip to the 8mm just to see if they are the same?... checked the quill for slop?.... drilling seems to be a constant battle for us.

Erik

Chasper

I had the same problem with the 7mm. I drilled a few crooked holes with it and threw it away.

Dave_M

Yeah those things flex way too much IMO. Two things I figured out making my first few pens... high quality drill bits (I like Norseman drill bits) are worth every penny and razor sharp cutting tools, including drill bits, are worth the effort.

gvanweerd

ya it'a hit and miss with mine. i don't use it unless i have to. i just use my regular 7mm twist bit.

Top Bottom