7/16 tube for Gatsby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Parrain

Has anybody tried using 7/16 tubes in a Gatsby kit?

I ask because I had two... altercations when turning for Gatsby twist pens (one chip out and one partial insertion). I know that PSI and others sell the replacements, but neither Rockler nor Woodcraft do and I have a slight problem paying more for shipping than I pay for 5 packs of replacement tubes. The Gatsby tube is 27/64, so the closest size would be 7/16. I can get 7/16 brass tubing delivered with free shipping next day and cut my own.

My question is will it make a noticeable difference in the hardware/tube matchup?

TIA for your experience and insight.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

A 7/16'' tube will be to big for the pen components IMO
27/64'' = .4219
7/16'' = .4375

Harry

Last edited:

chartle

Rockler has Manhattan tubes which are exactly the same. They also sell PSI Gatsby kits.

Gatsby = Manhattan = Sierra or am I missing something?

Last edited:

gtriever

Yep, what Cliff said. As a new turner myself, I always splurge and buy a pack or two of extra tubes as well as an extra pack of bushings when I order "new to me" pen kits in case I need them (and I have).

Parrain

Yep, what Cliff said. As a new turner myself, I always splurge and buy a pack or two of extra tubes as well as an extra pack of bushings when I order "new to me" pen kits in case I need them (and I have).

I thought about that when I bought slimlines from PSI, but since I bought the Gatsby kits locally, it didn't cross my mind. The good news is that I have two tubes that I can play with segmenting on.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

chartle

Rockler has Manhattan tubes which are exactly the same. They also sell PSI Gatsby kits.

Gatsby = Manhattan = Sierra or am I missing something?

Are they? Great! You would think that Jim would have told me that when I was there yesterday. I appreciate it.

I think Manhattans are rockler "Brand" and Gatsbys are PSI so I think they push the Manhattans. They are near the bottom of my store. I like Gatsbys the best because they appear more finished.

Last edited:

eharri446

The Gatsby, Sierra, Sienna, Princeton, and Wall Street II aall use the 27/64 tube and are the same length or very close to it.

chartle

Does this help?

Attachments

• 20170613_222031.jpg
    20170613_222031.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 20170613_222008.jpg
    20170613_222008.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 104

Parrain

You could turn the blanks down to the tube and salvage them. I've done it more times than I'd like to admit.

Danny

Thanks for the suggestion. I got another year out last night in the same place. My tools are the same. I think the technique is the same. It may be the glue up. I'll try it again tonight!

Parrain

Has anybody tried using 7/16 tubes in a Gatsby kit?

I ask because I had two... altercations when turning for Gatsby twist pens (one chip out and one partial insertion). I know that PSI and others sell the replacements, but neither Rockler nor Woodcraft do and I have a slight problem paying more for shipping than I pay for 5 packs of replacement tubes. The Gatsby tube is 27/64, so the closest size would be 7/16. I can get 7/16 brass tubing delivered with free shipping next day and cut my own.

My question is will it make a noticeable difference in the hardware/tube matchup?

TIA for your experience and insight.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this question. I picked up the Manhattan tubes last night and they worked great! Check out my latest post under "Show your pens" to see what I did on them.

Dehn0045

For future reference, you can look at all of the kit dimensions on the IAP bushing and tube charts.

On the Rockler chart you will see that both Gatsby and Manhattan are 27/64 (as you know), but the Manhattan is 0.04" shorter (which is probably not noticeable in this case). Note that the tables are organized such that Page 1 is shows the tube and bushing part numbers, Page 2 is the dimensions for all of the kits on Page 1, and Page 3 is a continuation of Page 1. This was a little confusing for me at first.

Top Bottom