6mm drill substitution

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I need to find a dril bit to substitute for a 6mm bit until I order a 6mm. If I understand the Hut conversion chart, 15/64 is the closest drill available. Is this correct, or what would be a decent substitute? I want to drill a hole to mount a bottle stopper blank on the Berea bottle stopper mandrel.

TIA,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

William, from the home page you can access the references page, and the "decimal equivalents" which is actually a drill bit chart:

http://www.penturners.org/content/HUTDrills.pdf

The 15/64 is the closest bit to 6 mm:

6 mm = .2362
15/64" = .2344
Difference: .0018 or less than two thousands

For that small difference running the drill through a couple of times will probably do the trick. Most of the time a bit will drill a hole slightly oversize due to runout.

mrcook4570

If you are using a softer wood, you may want to use a bit that is smaller than 6mm, as the hole will tend to enlarge while turning.

alamocdc

Bill, the link I placed on this thread has a very large variety of sizes and the prices are pretty good... $3 and change for a cobalt bit and $1 and change for Vermont Tap and Die brand. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7929

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />I need to find a dril bit to substitute for a 6mm bit until I order a 6mm. If I understand the Hut conversion chart, 15/64 is the closest drill available. Is this correct, or what would be a decent substitute? I want to drill a hole to mount a bottle stopper blank on the Berea bottle stopper mandrel.

TIA,
Per www.arizonasilhouette.com
Drill a 6mm hole into the stopper blank, screw in the threaded end of the mandrel into the blank, insert the smooth (round) end of the mandrel into a 3 jawed chuck, Jacobs drill chuck, et. and turn away. The threads of the mandrel match the threads on both the all-chrome and cork & chrome stoppers. A 15/64" drill bit is available for a smaller hole when using softer woods.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Lou, surely you don't expect me to read directions all the way to the end, do you? [:D] I got a 15/64 drill at Lowe's this afternoon, and it listed 6mm as the metric equivalent. So, I guess I am set. Thanks to all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom