60 degree centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

Why does everyone seam to state that you need 60 degree live/dead centers to TBC. I have life and dead centers that came with my lathe I got ages ago but the have short small points on them. Can you do TBC with something other than 60 degree centers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

Why does everyone seam to state that you need 60 degree live/dead centers to TBC.... Can you do TBC with something other than 60 degree centers?

Some of the third party TBC bushings you can get are made with 60 degree tapers on the ends, to fit cleanly on the common 60 degree centers. You can try other centers, but may not get as stable a fitting if the bushing end taper does not match the center's taper.

johnnycnc

Why does everyone seam to state that you need 60 degree live/dead centers to TBC. I have life and dead centers that came with my lathe I got ages ago but the have short small points on them. Can you do TBC with something other than 60 degree centers?

60° is common, and supposedly you need the 60° live center to match up
with the dimple in the end of your mandrel. So maybe you had that live center already.
As for dead centers, the spur center came with your lathe might be dangerous with those blades and all.
I am not aware of other point angles even available on true dead centers?
So, if you get a dead center, odds are it gonna be 60°.
And you can turn between centers with whatever you want.
give it a whirl!

sgimbel

The trick is the centers I have are very small. The one's Charlie sells are very large and they appear to fill the bushings or holes in the turnings where my little tips (points) would not.

Top Bottom