60 degree centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TowMater

Ok, I searched and came up with Little Machine Shop as a resource for 60 Degree Centers. Being fairly new to turning pens I wanted to ask this question before I spent my cash. On their compatibility they don't mention any Jet Mini lathes (or jet period).

Have other folks here used these centers on a Jet mini?

I'd call and ask but I'm at work and I really don't want co-workers listening in on that type conversation.

Thanks

Todd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kadmos

I picked one up from PSI, just has to be the right taper which I'm pretty sure is MT2, mine's a delta lathe. Works fine. I think it was $12 on amazon, they had a problem with the listing though so check by part number with PSI if you go that way, to make sure you get the right one.

THarvey

I ordered mine from www.turncraft.com for $12. It has not arrived yet, but hopefully today.[:D]

Joe Collazo (jcollazo) is a member here.

The Jet mini lathe is a MT2 taper.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by TowMater
<br />...Have other folks here used these centers on a Jet mini?

Thanks
Todd
Todd, Just make sure you stay with MT2 or morse taper #2 and you'll be fine. And just to be clear, you will need a dead center for the headstock and a live center (which revolves with the work) for the tailstock.

TAld

Todd - I've made quite a few purchases form LMS (Little Machine Shop) and always received great service. They normally have it in the mail the same day and are always helpful and have good tech support. I bought the Heavy Duty Standard 60 deg. w/2MT for my Jet Mini about a year ago and it's great.

Todd, the centers from LMS are compatible to the Jet mini--I'm using one. The reason the Jet doesn't appear on their chart is that they are geared toward metalworking equipment more than woodworking.

THarvey

Originally posted by RollTide
<br />THarvey....that should be www.turncrafts.com. The other is a site for columns that I don't think any of us can turn.[:D]

Thanks for the edit.

Maybe you should put the extension bed on your lathe. [}:)][:D]

leehljp

Member Liaison
This question has been asked more than once recently - concerning if one maker's live center or dead/drive center will fit such and such lathe. There are standards used to insure that centers and tools from one mfg or company will work on lathes from all mfg. The standard is called 1MT, 2MT etc.

There is no way for The Little Machine Shop (or others) to list ALL of the lathe manufacturers as to compatibility, so the question will be to find out what standard your lathe has and order a drive, chuck, etc that fits that standard. Your Brand, be it Jet, PSI, ABC, XYZ or other does not matter, but whether it is made to the moris taper standards for your machine. IF your lathe has a 2MT taper, then any 2MT chuck will fit, or should fit, unless it was defectively manufactured.

This standard is not like vacuum cleaner bags or car manufacturers in which you have to buy for the brand.

Kadmos

For some reason the standards do not always apply well.

I bought a drill chuck for my lathe in MT2 and it fit fine in the tailstock but was too long for the headstock, a little trim to the end and it works in both now, but no longer self ejects from the tailstock..too short

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom