5th Annual Penturners' Rendezvous

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
This is to remind you of the 5th Annual Penturners Rendezvous planned for for June 20, 2007. You can find details at http://penmakersguild.com/provo07.htm The activities are pretty well described on the website for those that have never attended, so I'm just going to point out some changes to those that have.

The time to plan is NOW!!! The Hampton Inn where the Rendezvous takes place is probably booked by now, but there is a La Quinta, a Fairfield Inn and a few others right there also - they will be able to tell you at the desk. Remember to ask for the Woodturning Symposium Rate!

I'd like to ask you to preregister so we get an idea of attendance beforehand. Planning totally blind is always a little disconcerting, even though we realize from past experience that in the end we'll probably have a full house. BTW - the reg. form online still says 2006 registration - don't worry, you'll be registering for 2007! I will try to fix that soon.

We need you to give some thought to button design! There will be a nice price for the winning entry, we'll do an online vote again through the yahoo poll process. This year we will keep the submissions secret till the voting starts, so please get designing and submit early - nobody will build on your design ideas :)

We will have a pen exhibit again. This year, the categories are a little different - capped pens, uncapped pens and (as before) collaborations. A capped pen is a pen that has a cap, either snap or screw-on. (Or one you design all on your own.) It doesn't matter if is is a fountain pen or a rollerball or a ballpoint under that cap. There will be some nice prizes again! And this year we will have non-attending members able to vote through an online yahoo-poll process again. So even if you can't be there, you can participate in many ways!

Chris Hendley will run a pen exchange also - look for a post in the near from him.

We also had the suggestion of a swap shop, in the parking lot outside the Hampton before the Rendezvous, maybe 6-7 p.m. Plan on bringing 'stuff' like pen blanks, kits etc for an informal penturners' swap meet.

Don't forget the Utah Woodturning Symposium on the following days! There will be 2 sessions on penturning there also. Demonstrating will be yours truly. I've always found the other sessions very enjoyable and instructional also - it is NOT all about huge hollow vessels!

BTW the following week will be the AAW Symposium in Portland. Russ Fairfield will be demonstrating there. On Friday Night, there will be an informal gathering for penturners also. We'll do a Show&Tell, and possibly some short demos if there is interest. For the Show&Tell plan on bringing some of your favorite pens, we'll use a camera to project them on the screen, and you can talk about them what's special, what challenges you overcame, etc. No registration is necessary! If there are special requests for demos, let me know! Nothing elaborate. Or if you have something you want to demo, something that can be done in 10-15 minutes. Some finishes come to mind. If you want to demo you need to bring your own tools and supplies.

Please help spread the word!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

James,
Considering that the post about filming was made today and the Rendezvous was last week and the verb tense, I'm not sure what it means. I was at the Rendezvous and there wasn't anyone there using a video camera. Besides who wants to look at a video of a bunch of people sitting around talking? Maybe he's referring to the AAW convention?

fstepanski

All,

Sorry for the confusion. The AAW has invited selected experienced videographers to support this years Symposium. I volunteered to take the evening Pen turners gathering session. My guess is the AAW planned to have a video guy on stand buy to ensure support of whatever type event is conducted. If we have a mini demo of certain technique this may be handy, if it will be nothing more than a discussion video may not be of value… How ever it will be there if required.

If we conduct an event which deems a video is advantageous, and the camera accepts some form of digital media and I’ll be more than glad to transfer over to a DVD and make available to IAP members.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom