50 Cal Pen Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OldPipe

Hey all, My first Post:biggrin:, I do have some turning experience, But very little on pens.I', having troubles with the 50 cal pen kits, And the problem Is when I push the nylon piece over the exposed 7mm tube, It seems too loose.
It actually pulls right off with little effort.
Any Idea what I'm doing wrong, I have tried 4 kits, with the same problem

TIA
Danny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byounghusband

I haven't made one of those kits. I have some BMG 50's that I will make with a slimline kit... Sorry I don't have an answer.

I would give their Customer Service line a call:
From the U.S and Canada: 1-800-377-7297 Monday through Saturday 8:30 a.m through 8:30 p.m EST

RichB

I just made one last week. The transmission should tighten up in the tube which comes already installed in the nylon tube, just like a slim line. Mine was to tight so I had to file a little off the bumps on the transmission. The nylon is loose over the tube glued to the nib. I also had a problem with the nylon tight on the nib tube because of some glue in the tube, I cleaned it out with a drill. If it is to loose maybe you could try another transmission from a slim line if you have one. It you don't have one put some CA in the brass tube with a Q tip and let it dry and then file it out to fit tight. It usually dosn't take to much thin CA to tighten it up a little. Hope this helps. RichB, And Welcome to the IAP Danny.

Last edited:

OldPipe

Thanks for the response guys, Heres a pic showing where It Is too loose a fit.....that brass tube gets pushed Into the nylon sleeve In the Shell

Attachments

• 50 cal pen too loose 2.jpg
    50 cal pen too loose 2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,341

RichB

It should be loose at the beginning but tighten up in the brass tube glued in the nylon, this happens just before it is pushed all the way in. Only the trans. will tighten up in the brass tube glued in the nylon, not the tube you put in the nib. For this all to happen the trans. must be installed in the nib tube first to the correct depth then slide it all in the nylon. It should be loose where you are pointing on your picture. It should tighten up at the end of the push, on the trans. Do you have a brass tube glued in the fineal end of the nylon. I know there is no fineal on this but I mean that end. This should have been put in by the factory? This is only about half the length of the nylon. It should not hit the tube you put in the nib.Hope this helps. RichB

Last edited:

OldPipe

the transmission was not reaching the brass tube in the plastic sleave:eek:
so I CA glued a small pc of 7mm tube In the sleave, and I will give that a try

OldPipe

It should be loose at the beginning but tighten up in the brass tube glued in the nylon, this happens just before it is pushed all the way in. Only the trans. will tighten up in the brass tube glued in the nylon, not the tube you put in the nib. For this all to happen the trans. must be installed in the nib tube first to the correct depth then slide it all in the nylon. It should be loose where you are pointing on your picture. It should tighten up at the end of the push, on the trans. Do you have a brass tube glued in the fineal end of the nylon. I know there is no fineal on this but I mean that end. This should have been put in by the factory? This is only about half the length of the nylon. It should not hit the tube you put in the nib.Hope this helps. RichB

Rich Thanks,That helped me understand how this pen worked
Like I said above the trans never went into the tube, my wood Is 2" maybe too long, but anyway the little piece of 7mm tube I added in there worked....thanks all for chimming In:bananen_smilies026:

Dan From The woods

Top Bottom