50 Cal pen parts big question..s long

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

I have found a new misson! pause for those that know me to groan.
I have set myself on making one of those 50 cal BMG pens. problem is nothing less than authentic look will do. so I gotta use the bullet and not a wood or pen kit finial.

In searching for the recommended M17 tracer bullet, I have discovered there are over 40 different bullets available for the 50 cal BMG casing. and tracers are not the easiest to find. I ahve also seen pens made from other bullets such as the Hornady AMAX which is a high quality target round used in match shooting. A very pretty bullet with a price to match.

due to the material in the tracer bullet there are both extra costs in getting them shipped, as well as lots of legel restrictions on where they can be shipped. als o it woudl be very nice to be able to avoid the need to handle hazardous material in processing the bullets into pen tips if possible.

one other attractive choice for the bullet woudl be the ball. this is a bullet that has not materal added to it like the incendiary stuf the tracer has. it is not shipped as a hazardous material, and is listed as being used against personal or vehicals. a lot of these bullets are listed as "Armour Piercing" which translates to me as a real pain or impossible to drill.

So do all of you with your collective knowledge of other things know of any other bullet for the 50 cal BMG casing that can be emptied and drilled to make this pen?

Other issues. from what I can tell even the bullets fall under the laws of selling firearms. I would have to be a licensed firearms dealer in order to mail a bullet to anyone else. (see the thread in group buys) I am thinking that if I remove the lead core from the bullet that law woudl no longer apply. it is now a bullet jacket. but I am not sure. if that would not be good enough does anyone know if drilling the tip would then make it legally mailable. it would then be a destroyed bullet jacket and could even be called a pen nib.
from what I found the law tends to consider it a bullet even if you take the pieces of it apart, as long as those pieces could be put back.
Example: I can melt the lead core out of it, mail it to you, but you could easily put lead back in it. restoring it back to being a bullet.

As is these bullets cannot be mailed to NY, CA, parts of FLorida, Hawaii, and a few other states. If they are tracers the list gets even longer. I still; have a long list of questions to get answered but this is all I will put up for now.

thanks for any help, I know this whole question is way off the beaten track, even your thoughts are welcome, but I can bet you if it is only a thought I have probably already had it myself, like just shelving this. but that is not like me. the longer it takes the more determined I get to make it happen. sort of starts feeling like revenge after a while.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
I make the 30-06 shell with bullet ends using the full metal jacket rounds. I heat up the lead and pour it out to make drilling the round much easier.The full metal jacket then gets polished and inserted. IMHO the full metal jacket round would work just fine.

Daniel

Ron, Thanks, when it comes to the 50 cal. there are over 40 different bullets that I have been able to find. so far only two of them will work as far as I can tell, and one of those is iffy. I found yesterday that there is one that would actually explode if you tried drilling it. yes just the bullet could explode. The issue here is that the bullet has to be drilled out to fit the lower tube of either the slimline or the cigar pen kit. the slimline is not as much of an issue, but the cigar requires a 10 mm hole in a half inch bullet. not a lot of room to spare. also many of the 50 cal bullets are armor piercing. all info I have been able to find indicate they cannot be drilled without special tools. so far the only bullet for the casing that really works well seems to be a tracer round. it involves dealing with stuff that if caught on fire, cannot be put out. And so far I have had no luck in being able to even order those.
I did order the other type of bullet and hope it will work. Info I have gotten from Paul in the group buy thread looks promising for me. but I will not know for sure until I have actually tried working with one of them. at over 40 cents a bullet and having to buy 100 at a time. I don't want to have to do a lot of experimenting to get the right one.

jwoodwright

Daniel, that would be the HEI, High Explosive Incendiary...

Back in the day, the Base would have a container that you could drop off "souvenirs", Many HEI rounds always showed up. Then EOD took them to the range and with some C4 destroyed the "souvenirs"...

Daniel

John, from what I read there was a version that could easily leave you a memory you would be better off not having. just dropping it could detonate it. not sure how accurate that info was it came from a forum. I know I have had a picture of a drill bit through my chest since reading it. I think it is best to never forget what these "Parts" where originally intended for. Could lead to some pretty nasty mistakes.

pssherman

Daniel,

The outside diameter of the 50 BMG bullet is 0.510 inches. If you drill with a 10 mm bit, the wall thickness is nearly 1/16 inch. Considering that the bullet is made of a copper jacket, a steel liner and a core of lead or tracer/lead, the walls are quite strong even after drilling. The tracer material, which is similar to a flare, is considered hazardous for shipping because it burns very hot and cannot be extinguished. Using a tracer round is hazardous because the tracer continues to burn long after the bullet has struck its target, which can easily start a fire. The tracer material is NOT explosive and is not easily ignited. It takes several seconds with a propane torch to ignite it while in the bullet. Drilling through the tracer material is very easy and the drill bit does not get hot enough to burn your skin so won't ignite the tracer. It is possible that the tracer may contain compounds that react with water, so the greatest danger would be breathing in the dust.

BTW, the bullets that I sell will have the tracer material removed before shipping them.

Paul in AR

Top Bottom