50 Cal BMG------Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

I have had several people ask me to offer these casing for sale. Well they are on the way but I can't find much on building the pens made from 50 Cal BMG casings. Heck I am wanting to build some and carry them to the next show ----can someone post some tips on building these monsters????????
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Frank it's going to take a while for me to build up a inventory----

I guess it's one of those Rome wasn't built overnight deals.

I think you use a Polaris kit to start the pen.

cozee

There was an excellent demo at the 2007 MPG yesterday on convering a 50 cal. Paul even uses the original round. They can be done with either Cross or Parker internals. Setting here with a casing, round, and Polaris pen in front of me, one would have to make a sizing adapter to use the Polaris nib as it is easily smaller in diameter than the round. Perhaps Paul can be persuaded to write up a tutorial for them.

Gary Max

Heck Greg a couple of hints and a pic or three would sure help. I was thinking I had heard just heard someone talking about making these Monsters.
Glad you folks had a good time yesterday---I sure wish we could of made the trip but it is a LONG drive from here. I am 4 hours south of Indy.

cozee

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />Heck Greg a couple of hints and a pic or three would sure help. I was thinking I had heard just heard someone talking about making these Monsters.
Glad you folks had a good time yesterday---I sure wish we could of made the trip but it is a LONG drive from here. I am 4 hours south of Indy.

I would tell ya how it is done but I don't want to steal Paul's glory. He needs to do a tutorial. I'll get in touch with him and see if he'll reveal it to the rest of the world. I know he mentioned that on his ride home he figure out a way to fix a small problem he had been trying to figure out on the pen. 4 hours south of Indy puts you about 2 hours out from the C-U area. You wouldn't have been the farthest from home!! [:D]

pssherman

Here is a link to the post showing the 50 BMG using a bullet for the tip.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21321&whichpage=2#220607

Since there seems to be some interest in the 50 BMG, I will put together a tutorial, with pictures, of how to make them. The demo on Saturday was a descriptive overview of how to make a 50 BMG pen. It did not show the individual steps, just a description of them with some hints and tips thrown in.

The tutorial may be long since there are several options to choose from. Such as Cross or Parker refills, and bullet or wood tip assemblies. This is going to take a while to do since I will probably come up with more modifications/improvements to the process as I produce the tutorial. I guess this is a curse of engineers, nothing is ever "good enough", we always want to improve things.

BTW, I have plenty of casings and bullets in various stages of completion which I prepared for the 2007 MPG (thanks Greg for organizing this) available for sale. PM me if you are interested.

Paul in AR

Tanner

I can't wait to see this tutorial. I have been reading these posts regarding the 50 cal cartridge and have not felt real comfortable with the twisting action to get the pen cartridge to twist in and out. My grandfather gave a 50 cal casing and bullet years ago. The primer end is stamped with S L and 43. It means it was made at the St. Louis ammunition plant in 1943. I have wanted to make a pen for myself out of it for some time now. I am anxiously awaiting the tutorial.

Gary Max

Here is a pic that should help out. You have to get this part right. The tube must be centered. I just press the dowel rod in---ok ---I beat it in with a hammer. I am cutting the 1/2 inch dowel rod 3 1/4 long.

200732912418_tipa.jpg
<br />

Here is how the other half looks. You need the collar to fit inside the casing. It doesn't take much but this holds the second half of the pen in place. You want the outside to match the outside of the casing. I will bring the small end down to the bushing which will match the nib. You have room here to play they do not all have to be the same size. Something to remember the tranny needs to be far enough in the casing tube to hold it in place.
Hope this helps

200732912497_tip2.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom