5 new Slimline pens....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

I found a pen turner in my neighborhood that was moving and bought some wood from him.

I love Slimlines, and these are my latest. The two darker ones are Amboyna Burl and the lighter ones are Box Elder Burl. The Box Elder was a challenge, because the a small bit of the burl broke off on two of the pens when I was doing the final turning on the upper end. I did my best to turn this into a "feature" by mixing some transient dye with medium CA to fill the defect. It didn't turn out too ugly.

I love the wood, and hope you do to! My apologies for the photography; I am limited to pictures with my iPhone.

Your thoughts are most welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 212
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice !! . I don't even see the problems you mentioned.

Any burl is a challenge on a slimline .... so thin at the ends.

Warren White

Thank you for the comments...

The finish is CA. I use 3 coats of thin, three coats of medium, followed with another 3 coats of thin. Sand carefully with 400 grit (dry) to check for low spots, then MicroMesh (wet) through the grits.

The "features" are on the clip end of the first and third pens. (I admit to hiding some of the "feature" with the clip on the third one.)

My thanks to all on this forum who keep making this a very enjoyable hobby; including three great mentors, two of which I met here.

tomas

The finish is CA. I use 3 coats of thin, three coats of medium, followed with another 3 coats of thin. Sand carefully with 400 grit (dry) to check for low spots, then MicroMesh (wet) through the grits.

The "features" are on the clip end of the first and third pens. (I admit to hiding some of the "feature" with the clip on the third one.)

My thanks to all on this forum who keep making this a very enjoyable hobby; including three great mentors, two of which I met here.

I thought that is what clips are for!

Tomas

Top Bottom