5-minute Epoxy Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbellek

I am experimenting with making my own segmented blanks, and I am using 5-minute epoxy to bond them. I was wondering how long I should wait before using the blanks. I've been waiting 2 or 3 days, but the package of epoxy says "sets in 5 minutes" and I don't know if that means "mix it up and use it within 5 minutes" or that I can clamp my blank together, and wait 5 minutes, and slap it on the lathe...

Or both?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I don't know what others do but I use the 30 minute epoxy and will wait an hour or two before putting on the lathe for drilling and turning and have not had a blank blow up or come apart yet.

I found that in the summer heat the 5 minute epoxy often had me scrambling on the last piece or two so I switched to 30 minute epoxy, which still only gives me a few minutes assembly time before clamping.

George

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Melanie, I don't use the epoxy on pen segments, but I've just read the blurb on an Araldite pack. It says 'Sets in minutes','Mix for 45secs''Use within 5mins' 'Allow 2hrs before rough handling' and 'Full strength after 8hrs'
I don't know what product you are using but I'd say after 2-3 days you should be ready to go.
There are loads of guys that use epoxy so let them know which one you use and I'm sure you'll get a good answer.[:D]

Rifleman1776

A precise 50/50 mix of two-part epoxy will allow working in a short period of time which can vary with temp/humidity/moon phase, etc. I always wait a couple hours because mixes aren't always perfect and the time isn't dependable.

mbellek

It is called "Epoxybond Industrial Strength Fast Glue" and the parent company on the back is listed as "Atlas." There is absolutely nothing on the package or the tubes which states anything about when the piece can be used, machined, etc... It just says "Fix anything in 5 minutes!"

So we're talking more like a couple hours, as opposed to days?

Skiprat-- If you don't use epoxy, what do you use? I'd been told to try CA or Gorilla, and I was able to turn them easily, but my husband said "let me try to break it" and was able to pop the segments apart with very little effort, he said. I had drilled and doweled and everything!! (But I considered it a valuable lesson learned) After that, everyone was telling me "epoxy, epoxy, epoxy!" And it seems to work well, I just don't want to have to plan what I'm going to turn that many days in advance!!

My 5-minute epoxy says 3 minute working time, 5 minute setup time (at room temperature), can be handled in 15 minutes, and full bond strength in 1 hour. I usually wait at least an hour, because I've found that rushing it nearly always leads to disappointment. Forewarned is fore-armed!

Originally posted by mbellek
<br />Well, I found that waiting an hour (or two, I'm not sure, I was turning!) was sufficient!

Thanks everyone!

Yep, I use 5-min epoxy (Loctite) and wait about 1 hr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom