5 minute apoxy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

The last couple times I have used 5 minute apoxy it seems not to have set in a day. The blanks are backpainted, and I let them sit for a day. Then I mix the apoxy and put it in. I have had a couple not set, is it possible that apoxy stops bonding (not sure how to word it)?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

The last couple times I have used 5 minute apoxy it seems not to have set in a day. The blanks are backpainted, and I let them sit for a day. Then I mix the apoxy and put it in. I have had a couple not set, is it possible that apoxy stops bonding (not sure how to word it)?

It might have expired or gone bad. It is very possibly.

jttheclockman

It has to set. It is a chemical reaction. Are you sure you used both parts and did not use one part 2 times. It does happen or at least I heard from my sources:biggrin: Takes air to make it cure faster. If it is old it may take longer. Take some and do a test strip and see what happens.

edicehouse

That is basically what I was thinking. I have had to throw some away because it turned into very thick. It is in the shop which is not always heated.

TonyL

The only time I had that happen is when I added some paint to it - which I do know that many of us do without a problem.

FWIW, I have the System 3, Gorrilla epoxy, etc, but when I want something fast and cheap (and run out of the other stuff), I use the Hobby Lobby 2 Part Exteme Power Epoxy. It is $6 after the 40% coupon, sets in 5 minutes and ready to turn in under an hour. It comes in two 4 ounce bottles. I bought it as somewhat of a "joke" close to two years ago, didn't use it for a year, and I have been using it now for 8 months without a problem. I either got lucky or it works. I have never added any colorant to it for I paint the tubes and the blanks instead.

Just thought I would share my experience.

Warren White

Same question....

I have some Devcon 5 minute epoxy that is quite new, but the last time I used it, it seemed to get thick way before the 5 minutes. I am careful to follow the 1 to 1 ratio and mix well. Some of the tubes did not bond as well as normal.

These were going in acrylic blanks that I had painted inside the tubes with spray white primer. They were left to dry for several days, and the epoxy was mixed and used in my kitchen, so everything was around 67 degrees. The epoxy doesn't have a date stamped on it, but as I said, it can't be more than 3 months old and is kept in my office, again around 67 degrees.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but since I have the same experience as Ed, I would like to ask if anyone has experience with longer-work time epoxy? According to a friend, it has a much stronger bonding than the 5 minute stuff. I looked at some 11 or 12 hour stuff, but it said it was only to be used above 75 degrees, and it was decidedly amber colored.

jttheclockman

I have some Devcon 5 minute epoxy that is quite new, but the last time I used it, it seemed to get thick way before the 5 minutes. I am careful to follow the 1 to 1 ratio and mix well. Some of the tubes did not bond as well as normal.

These were going in acrylic blanks that I had painted inside the tubes with spray white primer. They were left to dry for several days, and the epoxy was mixed and used in my kitchen, so everything was around 67 degrees. The epoxy doesn't have a date stamped on it, but as I said, it can't be more than 3 months old and is kept in my office, again around 67 degrees.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but since I have the same experience as Ed, I would like to ask if anyone has experience with longer-work time epoxy? According to a friend, it has a much stronger bonding than the 5 minute stuff. I looked at some 11 or 12 hour stuff, but it said it was only to be used above 75 degrees, and it was decidedly amber colored.

Warren

The longer the open time on an epoxy is, the stronger the bond will be. I use System III T88. I use it for everything. It is amber in color but dries clear. Remember though this is an adhesive epoxy and not a casting epoxy. All glues work better in warming temps. Takes longer to cure in cooler temps. Not meant to be used in below freezing temps:biggrin:

Lenny

I have had some go bad and fail to harden. It was the kind in the syringe style tube that is supposed to mix both parts as you plunge it. I now buy it in bottles.
I have also had some gel in the bottle. I was told to microwave it (15 sec. at a time) until it liquefied again. It did the trick.

CREID

It has to set. It is a chemical reaction. Are you sure you used both parts and did not use one part 2 times. It does happen or at least I heard from my sources:biggrin: Takes air to make it cure faster. If it is old it may take longer. Take some and do a test strip and see what happens.

And just how close to you are those sources.:biggrin:

monophoto

I generally prefer to purchase epoxy in bottles rather than in either tubes or syringes.

Tubes are a PITA to use - unless you are wearing rubber gloves, you get the stuff all over yourself. And buying it in the syringe dispenser is more expensive. And because syringes hold only a small amount, I have often found myself running out in the middle of a job.

That said, there are two advantages to syringes. One is that the syringe scheme simultaneously dispenses approximately the same amount of resin and hardener. Mixing epoxy isn't rocket science, but you do need to have roughly equal proportions of the two components. The other is that because syringes hold so much less, you use it up before it goes bad.

By the way, the syringes I've seen only dispense the materials - they don't actually mix the components. You have to mix them yourself.

edicehouse

I think it's more of a case where it didn't finish in a day. A couple are solid with no problem, and some didn't cure.

edicehouse

I think it's more of a case where it didn't finish in a day. A couple are solid with no problem, and some didn't cure.

I would look at how well your mixing the 2 parts together.
Just my 2 1/2 cents.

I have been using it 90 percent of the time for the last couple years and never had this happen. I think I will just get some new and figure it just went bad.

jttheclockman

And just how close to you are those sources.:biggrin:

Oh lets say I know them very well but do not want to name names because it would just make them look dumb:bulgy-eyes::laugh:

JD Combs Sr

I have used about every type of epoxy available at the local borg, both old out of the back of one of my catch all drawer and just ran and got some new. The only problem I have ever experienced with any of it is the gelling of one of the bottles. In every gelling case I can remember, applying a little heat solved that problem. The only time I have had a real problem was when I failed to mix it properly.

duncsuss

I was warned against using the same stick that I mix the 2 parts when I apply the epoxy to the tubes and/or the drilled holes.

(It was explained to me as "The mixing stick might have a layer that isn't properly mixed, that won't set fully.")

CREID

I was warned against using the same stick that I mix the 2 parts when I apply the epoxy to the tubes and/or the drilled holes.

(It was explained to me as "The mixing stick might have a layer that isn't properly mixed, that won't set fully.")

Oh, THANX.! Now i'm going to have to use two sticks or agonize over it until I turn the darn thing!:mad:

Top Bottom