5 Inch Long (or Longer) 27/64" Brass Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I need some long brass tubes (5"+) of nominal diameter 27/64" (Sierra).

Minimum length needed is 4.375"

I know you can buy 10" long tubes in many diameters from the usual vendors including PSI, but the 27/64" diameter is not available (believe it or not).

Anybody know where I can get what I need ? Thanks for any suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Mal; You could get some Sierra brass tubes and put a slightly smaller tube inside similar to solder joining a pipe. Check the clearance of the components to make sure it fits.

HeartofaPen

A manager at Rockler once told me to go to a hobby store where they sell model trains and stuff. They carry all sizes and shapes. I went to the one he mentioned and they had a lot.

Curly

A manager at Rockler once told me to go to a hobby store where they sell model trains and stuff. They carry all sizes and shapes. I went to the one he mentioned and they had a lot.

Most sell tubes by K&S and they do indeed have lots of brass and other alloy tubes, except the size Mal wants. Also the walls may be thicker than the pen tubes that come with kits. Unless he can change his design somewhat to another size K&S stuff isn't going to work.

I looked at that avenue when I saw this thread last night Mal.

magpens

So Mal are you going to tell us why you need the tubes or is it a secret project and we would be killed if you told us?

Sure, Pete !! ... and I won't kill you !! .... get a coffee, put your feet up !

I read an article in the Library about how to make a single barrel Cigar pen.

I made one, and I like it so much that I am going to modify the method and make thousands of them. Please get Marla set up to make feather blanks for single barrel Cigars ... 27/64" diameter tube by 4 3/8" long !!!!

You see, the method described in the Library article uses the two Cigar tubes, plus one Sierra twist tube. One of the Cigar tubes (the longer) rotates inside the Sierra twist tube when you extend/retract the refill.

One of the problems with the author's (rhossack) modification is there is a short distance in the middle of the pen where there is no brass tube support for the blank material.

It helps a little bit to use a Sierra click tube instead of a Sierra twist tube.

But I want to use an even longer 27/64" tube which runs the full length of the pen so that the blank material is fully reinforced because even with the Sierra click tube, there is a weak spot near the center of the blank. One such pen that I made using Amboyna burl actually broke at that point.

The article by R. Hossack is here:

http://content.penturners.org/library/pens/onepiececigar.pdf

I will post pictures of my modified Cigars in due course. . Suffice it to say, for now, that they are (potentially) gorgeous, IMHO, and really show off a beautiful long blank like those made by Joe Schneider, Donald Fontaine, James Crabcreekindustries, and (hopefully) Marla.

I have always liked the length of the Dayacom Long Clicker but I absolutely hate its loud click, ugly design and rough operation so I avoid using it.

The single-barrel Cigar design is just a little longer and has smooth operation. . Drilling the long hole is no problem if you do it on the lathe. . One slight "gotcha" is the thinness of the blank material at the ends (about 0.033" at the finial end and about 0.024" at the nib end). I work to a finished blank diameter of 0.550" at the middle (which leaves 0.071" wall there) and tapering (not symmetrically) towards the ends with a 2-inch "flat" portion near the middle.

You will note that the wall thickness at the ends can be problematic for burls like Amboyna and for cast feather blanks, for example. . A specially made feather blank will be necessary with non-feather ends (perhaps Australian burl or resin sections). . I might be talking myself into learning to do my own casting !!

Last edited:

Curly

You would need to send us a tube so I could make a mould. The feathers could be left back a little from the ends of the painted tube. First though you'd have to get it past my boss. Making a mould for a limited run might not fly. ;) Anything is possible though.

Happy I will live a little bit longer too.

magpens

Who says this would be a "limited run" ?

We're talking thousands !!! . Think you can keep up ?:biggrin:

You would need to send us a tube so I could make a mould. The feathers could be left back a little from the ends of the painted tube. First though you'd have to get it past my boss. Making a mould for a limited run might not fly. ;) Anything is possible though.

stuckinohio

The long clicker mold might work. The tube for that is about that long.

Lewis

magpens

An alternative (better) way to do it

Typing my dissertation above led me to an alternative which avoids having to buy long 27/64" tubes, and also avoids side-wall thinning at the finial end (due to the 27/64" tube size first contemplated).

Here's the idea ...

Instead of using the Cigar kit top tube (10mm x 1.91") at the top end, I discard that and cut a new replacement tube from readily available 10mm tubing to a length of 2.250".

Now, I use the Cigar tube bottom tube (10mm x 2.075") as usual since it is the right length for the Cigar transmission and nib.

The total combined tube length is then 2.250 + 2.075 + 0.050 = 4.375" (the desired, although somewhat arbitrary barrel length) ... the 0.050" is the thickness of the Cigar-kit-specific center coupler "disc" which I machine down from its standard diameter (0.455") to 0.375" so that it slides inside a 27/64" brass tube.

As described above, I slide a Sierra click tube ( 27/64" x 2.42" long) over the Cigar bottom, and then the "new" Cigar top tube ( 10mm x 2.25" ) over the Cigar transmission. The Cigar transmission activation tube gets pressed into the top end of the "new" Cigar top tube.

The "new" Cigar top tube slides 0.3" inside the Sierra click outer bottom tube and those two tubes can be glued (or soldered) along the 0.3" overlap providing the utmost support for the blank material.

The blank material (4.375") will be drilled to accept the 27/64" tube at the nib end to a depth of 2.45" and will be drilled to accept the 10mm tube at the finial end to a depth of 1.925".

Pictures of the process and finished pen(s) to be provided soon.

In spite of the extra brass tube (Sierra click) the weight of the pen will be at least 2 gm lighter than the original Cigar due to the elimination of the standard factory-supplied black plastic/metal centerband, and there will also be some weight reduction due to thinning of the blank material sidewall. . The overall length of the pen is closely the same (perhaps 0.2" longer) as the original design. The combined brass tube length of 4.375" can be reduced a little or increased a little.

Thanks for listening and contributing.

Last edited:

KenV

Mal, I have been making quite a few of the modified cigars, which omit the cigar centerband.

Your design will also leave the centerband out, so be sure to shorten the 8 mm tube that drives the twist transmission when using a short cigar tube at the top.

You can shorten the upper tube and 8mm tube a bit more if desired.

Top Bottom