5.5 mm pencil leads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi All,

A client of mine is looking for a supplier of 5.5 mm leads that range in hardness, from HB2-HB6, I have looked around at the usual places but no luck. Any help on this would be appreciated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

Are you sure it is 5.5 that you are looking for? 5.6mm is the standard size that fits sketch pencils and workshop pencils. You can get 5.6 from PSI or CSUSA, or you can buy them at art supply sources like dickblick.com. The brand to look for at Dick Blick is Cretacolor, most artists refer to them by the brand name.

chrisk

Yes Cretacolor, an Austrian firm. I've recently been in touch with their distributor in Belgium. We convened for a meeting next week and the price is really correct: +/- $US5,3 (21% tax included) for 6 graphite leads vs the Original sold $2,99 by CSUSA. Cretacolor size: 4,72". Original Artist sketch leads: 3,15". And Cretacolor provides graphite + charcoal both @ 5,6mm diameter.

Their distributor in the US:
[FONT=Humanst521 BT,arial,helvetica]USA
[/FONT][FONT=Humanst521 BT,arial,helvetica]SAVOIR-FAIRE
40 Leveroni Court
Novato, CA 94949 / USA
[/FONT] [FONT=Humanst521 BT,arial,helvetica]
Tel: 001/415/884-8090
Fax: 001/415/884-8091
productinfo@savoirfaire.com
[/FONT]
Maybe a group buy from an IAP member could lead to some savings...

Hope this helps.

Chthulhu

If it's truly 5.5 and not 5.6 mm lead (5.6 is the standard in this range), refer your client to a Montblanc boutique. If the 5.6 will fit, there are more options.

As mentioned above, Cretacolor is the primary manufacturer, and art supply houses are the best sources; these are mainly sketching pencils rather than drafting tools.

I'm still looking for a clutch pencil for my 12.7 mm leads ... <G>

Chthulhu

If it is for a clutch pencil, then a wide range of sizes will work as the actual diameter of the lead is not that critical.

I've yet to see a 5.n mm pencil that wasn't a clutch, but apparently the Montblanc Leonardo's throat won't handle the 5.6 mm leads.

12.7mm, wow. Perhaps a chalk holder would work?

Too small. <G>

These "leads" are actually 1/2" diameter by 12" long graphite electrodes, but they work beautifully for sketching and shading. I acquired a couple of boxes of the things from my past employer (they had long since sold the machine that used them and they were headed for the trash), and have shared them out with a number of people for various artsy pursuits. They apparently work *very* well for frottage.

Top Bottom