4th Time the Charm!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

I got hold of a bag of 30-06 brass cartridges, so I thought I'd prep a bunch of casings for pens. Started out trying to drill a hole in the end. Turns out getting a smooth concentric hole was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

First try, I used my drill press (12" Delta with a pen blank drilling vice to hold the cartridge. Between the side play in my spindle (need new bearings maybe?) the fact that the dimples in the end were often off-center (see Pic 1), I couldn't get a smooth concentric hole to save my life.

Next, I tried my small metal lathe (and I do mean small.) It's a Poseidon, which is a Unimat 3 clone. I seldom use the tail stock, and for the life of me I couldn't get the tail stock to align with the head stock to save my life. Again, the bit wanted to follow wherever the dimple was. Again, not successful.

Third try, my pen lathe. I only have a cheap 3-draw chuck right now (MT1, not as many good options.) Once again couldn't get a true hole drilled.

Was about to give up when I started rummaging through my tools and hit upon a 3-flute, 82 degree countersink. Chucked it in the drill press, brought the table up close, and bingo! I was able to get a nice, clean, concentric countersink in there (Pic 2) that cleaned up nicely with the drill bit (Pic 3.)

I miss the access I had to a small machine shop in my last job. Nothing handy like having a Bridgeport!

Gary

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 173
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 199

Ross

When I need to drill 30-06 casings, I drill a small hole in the fired primer and then remove it by prying it out using a small awl. then I can drill the casing with the proper bit for my kit. by doing it this way I get more consistant results. Keep turning!

Woodkiller

First thing is to get the fired primer out of the way. I do that with one of those cheap precision screwdrivers from the inside(or I do it in the press in the house) then drill a 9/32" hole centered in the flash hole. Simple and works.

Top Bottom