4 JET Mini Owners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scottydont

I had looked at them before. The only difference noted is the CT Pro is that it has 5 speed max 3200 RPM and the Jet is 6 speed 3925rpm. Now if they only had the electronic variable speed?

I have the Jet 1014VS and love it!

Denco

I actually bought this lathe back in August.

It's my first lathe, so I can't compare it to anything else. Here's what I can tell you:

PRO:
- It basically works. I gave up changing the belt on the pully and just run it at top speed most of the time. It runs "okay".

CONS:
- When the first lathe (yes, first lathe) arrived, it had been dropped off the truck and the bed was busted clean in half. PSI stated they've been having issues and have had a lot of these lathes returned. PSI sent a 2nd lathe and assured me it would be double packed the next time. It wasn't. came with a broken belt cover plate. PSI sent me a new one. PSI also arranged for pickup of the first lathe. UPS picked it up. 2 weeks ago, PSI sends me a letter saying they didn't get it and wants to charge me for another lathe. We straightened that out.

- In cold weather, the lathe motor speed runs really slow for about 4 minutes while it warms up, it then speeds up to full running speed. I live in California. It doesn't get that cold. I have a shop full of power tools. None of them have this issue. The bearings are all lubed and fine, the belt isn't too tight, etc.

- The lock-down for the tail stock has gone soft. I haven't been rough with it either. Doesn't hold well. As soon as I'm done with Christmas projects, I'm going to fix it and, hopefully, improve it.

Conclusion and advice:
If I had to do it all over again, I would not have bought this lathe. I would have opted for the Jet mini. I bought this lathe because of the hp for the price. I've got a lot of $$$ sunk into this lathe + a bunch of accessories, so this lathe and I are doing our best to get along and will need to until I completely wear it out.

<u>No offense intended </u>to anyone who might have this lathe or who really likes doing business with PSI, but I had to get the VP of PSI involved to get all the issues resolved and then the lathe wasn't all that.

Normally don't like to post a message like this, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if someone else on this forum ended up going through what I went through. Please forgive me if it's inappropriate.
Hope anyone else who owns this model has had better luck.--Den

G

My Jet is whote.
The tail stock on my jet "creeps"
My original Jet bought at Woodcraft and delivered by me was broken also.

dougle40

I've had absolutely no luck at all with electronic variable speed units . I had to replace 1 scroll saw 4 different times because of a failure in the variable speed unit , which doesn't help when you're in the middle of something . Just one more thing to go wrong as far as I'm concerened . Besides , it only takes seconds to switch the belts around for different speeds.

Fred in NC

I did not buy the variable speed Jet Mini. I am using a surplus DC motor and controller from Vega Woodworking. The speed goes from almost nothing to about 4,000 RMP. There is a photo in my album.

Travlr7

Well Let's See:
Scott: I used one of the lathes you referenced at the PSI Turnathon. I have a Jet Mini. I noticed that at full speed, it took longer to turn a pen, may seem crazy, but true. There were other, unidentifiable things about the unit that made me uncomfortable using it. I have never had that feeling with the Jet, even when a nice big chuck of wood decided that I hadn't mounted it correctly and jumped off, so I could do it correctly.

EagleSC - Have you tightened the nut under the tailstock? it doesn't take much to stop the creep.

Bruce

William Young

I noticed that POC has the same lathe for more money but with extension bed and free shipping etc.
http://pocwoodworking.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/63

I have a Jet and think it is just great.
I'm with Doug on step pulley and belt over VS and I sure know what he is talking about with VS problems with scrollsaws. That is why my present and last scrollsaw I will ever need is a Industrial quality Delta-P-20 with six speed manual change. That is why I bought my maual speed change Jet lathe when first considering a mini lathe purchase.
I too can change speeds in both my scrollsaw and my lathe in seconds . It is so quick and easy to do after a little practice. It is mostly by feel than actually looking. Feel and count three up , , , feel and count three down, , , , etc. .. tighten and turn wood . Pretty fool proof system.
W.Y.

wayneis

I conversed with several VS Jet lathe oweners and none have a single complaint. I would think that if there were problems then between the two penturning forums that someone would have said something. My Jet that I have now will one of these days end up being my buffing center and I will purchase the VS Jet or move up to one of those big full size babies.

Wayne

woodspinner

We must all remember that as technology gets better so do VS controllers. Also motor quality improves as more are sold. No vendor wants a bad rap by selling poor quality but they are trying to get the cheapest they can.

I had heard there is a new motor technology comming but have not heard any more about it. It is to be better and cheaper???

Good turning and be safe
Bill in Casa Grande AZ.

Randy_

Originally posted by woodspinner
<br />We must all remember that as technology gets better so do VS controllers. Also motor quality improves as more are sold. No vendor wants a bad rap by selling poor quality but they are trying to get the cheapest they can......

Bill: No doubt but what you have said is true. On the other hand, if you don't need it why spend another hundred bucks? And even if VS is highly reliable, there will still be some failures and repair costs will be .....OUCH!!!

For a lot of turners, buying VS would be like Granny buying a 4-wheel drive car to make the 2 mile run for groceries in Miami!![:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom