4 jaw chuck help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terwin

First off, Merry Christmas to all in IAP land.

This is my first post and I need some advise. I have a Grizzly midi lathe (G0624) and I am wanting a 4 jaw chuck but do not know what to get. I have looked at the Baracuda 3 and Mini Grip in PSI and the Nova Percision Midi Chuck at WC. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'd probably avoid the minis and get a midi chuck so you can still use it to turn decent sized projects now, and when you get a bigger lathe... which you will :biggrin:. I have a 10" Delta and have maxed it out more times than I can count so I'm glad I didn't order a mini chuck when I ordered my mini lathe.

KenV

I have two of those -- Barracuda adn Nove Mid - and suggest the noval midi as being a bit better built. Either will work well and both are made for midi lathes.

One bias for the nova is that all Nova chucks have interchangable jaws -- Barracuda interchanges with Barracuda

You will want Pin Jaws for working with penblanks.

The mini grip is not the best value --

If price is the controlling factor - Barracuda is probably the lower cost with pin jaws.

PenMan1

I have two of those -- Barracuda adn Nove Mid - and suggest the noval midi as being a bit better built. Either will work well and both are made for midi lathes.

One bias for the nova is that all Nova chucks have interchangable jaws -- Barracuda interchanges with Barracuda

You will want Pin Jaws for working with penblanks.

The mini grip is not the best value --

If price is the controlling factor - Barracuda is probably the lower cost with pin jaws.

I'm with Ken. I perfer the Nova Midi over the Barracuda. It is half the price, alll of the Tekna accessories interchange with any Nova chuck (which means that if you add another lathe, you can buy a
bigger chuck for it without having to rebuy all of the accessories). The last reason is because the midi uses bars to tighten, rather that a key. This means that with a lathe with a spindle lock, the single bar is easier for me to insure that a five pound block of wood won't come flying at my head at 3,000 rpms.

There are many good chucks out there and as with most things, it is a matter of preference. I just sold my barracuda2 used on EBay and got enough money to buy an additional Nova Midi which fit ALL of my accessories.

n7blw

Nova G3

You might take a look at the Nova G3 chuck. It is key operated and can be moved to other spindle-sized lathes by changing the threaded insert (about $24). Check Woodcraft or search ebay for "nova g3" for good prices. That search will lead you to a fella in British Columbia that has good deals and sometimes offers free shipping.

dcavazos2000

This are my 2 Best Recommendation for choosing a Lathe Chuck

1) Buy a Midi Chuck
2) Buy a Chuck that has a Key NOT the 2 Rods (3 hand operations)

In regards the Brand, Buy what is better for YOU for your Pocket ($$)
And be smart buy only one good one

If you are going to buy additional jaws, Buy the Pin Jaws because you can use your chuck
As a drilling chuck (for Pen blanks)

David Keller

Grizzly sells a decent Vicmarc clone for $99 bucks last time I checked... I use mine all the time, and I haven't had any issues with it.

Top Bottom