360 heringbone 2nd attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paramount Pen

I've got this blank all glued up from the tutorial in the library. The first one turned out nice but I dont think I got the center right as the peices were smaller on one side. So, how do I find the true center. The peices are cocobolo, bodark and green poplar.
Thanks Fred

Attachments

• 0615110749.jpg
    0615110749.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 241
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

Fred,

Bare in mind that I have only made two of these myself but I can tell you what I have done...

I take the blank and cross cut the top and bottom so that it is flat. This just removes the uneven angled pieces that get cut off anyway on the top and bottom. Once flat, you will see the intersection of the 6 pieces. I then mount the blank between centers at these two points and turn the blank round. Once round, I mount in my collet chuck and drill down the center.

Hopefully someone that has done more than me can help out. I know the time it takes to put together one of these blanks. I would hate for it to get ruined at this point. BTW, your blank looks awesome! You did a good job so far from what I can see with tighness of the joints!

Good luck!

Fred

paramount Pen

Thanks for the comments Fred and I did do like you said to cut the ends with a bandsaw, turn between centers then drill for the tube. Thanks for your help.
Fred

Attachments

• IMG_3095.jpg
    IMG_3095.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 171
Top Bottom