.30 cal. Bolt Action

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bubba57

I'm new to turning, pen turning, and IAP.
Began last month and so far have made some Slimlines but this weekend I'll be making a 30 cal Bolt Action kit as a gift for a friend that was just promoted to Captain on the Florida Wildlife Commission. Any SNAFUs that I should be aware of in turning/assembling this kit?
Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rossvh

Welcome to IAP and pen turning! I agree with Keith. I've done over 100 of these pens (very popular) and they are solid and easy to assemble, but be careful -once you've pressed the blank in it is difficult (though not impossible) to undo.

Also agree that a bulge distracts from the looks of the pen. Just not necessary (my opinion). :)

Finally, you will find this site to be extremely helpful. Use it whenever you have a question. These guys and gals know what they're talking about.

Ross

Dan Masshardt

Pretty easy kits but a couple comments.

One - tube length is very important on these. Don't over trim your blank or your ink will stick out too far.

2- I always reverse the bolt / move the clip location. But this is only appearance related really.

Quality Pen

Just yesterday I tried to disassemble the first bolt action pen -- bad idea.

Basically, from looking at it, once its together it is together unless you want to break/discard certain parts. I'm sure there is a technique to take it apart, but as a fellow newbie, my best advice is put it together once with the intention of leaving it together forever!

WriteON

I like a slight budge. Please remember to tighten the Bolt set screw before assembling. Can always be done afterward. I'm addicted to Bolt pens. The standard is the best IMO. The Magnum is not worth the difference. The Mini Bolt is cool except for the short lived refill. Good luck. Have fun. Everyone loves the Bolts. So far every time I give one away I get a request to make X amount more for a fee. However I do not sell anything at this. I have a rack of them on top of our entertainment center console.

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
I like a slight budge.

On most pens, that nice curve is really sweet, but in the case of either type of bullet pens on the market, it does take away from the "Bullet" look...unless there is a cartridge breach! Some people still think a 3/4" Slim with the original band looks cool too...I guess :eek:

Quality Pen

...Please remember to tighten the Bolt set screw before assembling. Can always be done afterward. I'm addicted to Bolt pens. The standard is the best IMO. The Magnum is not worth the difference. The Mini Bolt is cool except for the short lived refill. Good luck. Have fun. Everyone loves the Bolts. So far every time I give one away I get a request to make X amount more for a fee. However I do not sell anything at this. I have a rack of them on top of our entertainment center console.
I saw this screw tighten part in the instructions. So far I've put together a couple bolt actions but this screw seems tight enough... am I missing something though?

WriteON

...Please remember to tighten the Bolt set screw before assembling. Can always be done afterward. I'm addicted to Bolt pens. The standard is the best IMO. The Magnum is not worth the difference. The Mini Bolt is cool except for the short lived refill. Good luck. Have fun. Everyone loves the Bolts. So far every time I give one away I get a request to make X amount more for a fee. However I do not sell anything at this. I have a rack of them on top of our entertainment center console.
I saw this screw tighten part in the instructions. So far I've put together a couple bolt actions but this screw seems tight enough... am I missing something though?

I like to confirm the screw is tight before assembling. It can be addressed afterward if needed. Back to the bulge. There is no right or wrong. Your pen. Your design. No one will scrutinize the body...especially if it's a gift. You'll get compliments and requests for more. No hate mail or death threats please:biggrin::biggrin:
Edit...it is more comfortable to write with without a bulge.

Attachments

• 3 bolts.jpg
    3 bolts.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 2 bolts.jpg
    2 bolts.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 92
  • wood bolts.jpg
    wood bolts.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Ambidex

I've made about 100 of these and everyone has had a little room for tightening. I usually get about a quarter turn. Some take the screw out and put a dab of locktite on. Good luck and post some pics?

Top Bottom