30-378 weatherby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RichB

Has anybody made a pen from one of these casings. A friend wants one made for a Christmas present for his dad. The casing is about 1/2 inch longer than a 30/06 casing. If I tube it like a 30/06 the transmision has to go in so far there is not much for the top to slip over. Thanks RichB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

I've only made one cartridge pen, and it happened to be the 300 Weatherby Magnum. The casing is long, and in this case, I didn't press the bullet in far enough, making the pen even longer. It is a 7mm tube, seated against the bullet, and cut flush at the end. The tube was epoxied in place, not soldered. The transmission was pressed in farther than any other 7mm pens I've made, but the epoxy was flexible enough to allow the tube to expand properly and let the transmission still operate. Even with the bullet extended as far as it does, there is enough transmission sticking out for the cap to engage and allow it to operate.

This is the second cap made for this pen -- the first one was shorter, to make the whole pen about the same length as a regular 7mm slimline, but it was too short for the clip. This cap is longer only to make the clip fit proportionally, making the overall length of the pen is longer than average.

This was given to a co-worker, and has been his daily use pen now for several months without problem.

2_300-weatherby.jpg

KenV

A bit more work, but you can use the parker/rollerball style and use a long roller ball refill to gain some length. Les Elm has a tutorial on fastening the tubes into the back of a bullet that helps get the parker diameter and spring.

RichB

Thanks John and Ken for the help. I just wasn't sure about the amount sticking up. I also have an idea about soldering the tube in to the bullet back and cutting it a little short at the primer end. Then I could cut the tube in the cap a little longer which would give me more grip on the trans. I saw Les Elm's tutorial on the 50 cal but this 30 cal is a lot smaller but if I drill it right I will have about .025 on each side. Then I could cut the tube a lot shorter and add it to the top tube and let it slip in to the primer end and slide over the trans. It looks like fun thanks again for the help. RichB

Sylvanite

30-378 Wby is a long, fat cartridge. I make cartridge pens from 300 WinMag and 338 WinMag using a modified cigar pen kit, but 30-378 Wby is significantly longer (and wider) than those calibers.

I think if I wanted to use a 30-378 Wby cartridge, I'd try to use a cigar pen mechanism but substitute a longer refill, such as the Pilot G2. It is the size of a rollerball refill, but uses gel ink.

Regards,
Eric

Sylvanite

Thanks Eric I have one of your 300 for the Cigar still in the cabinet with instructions. I will be looking into it. Thanks RichB
My thoughts are running along these lines:

The bullet may need to be drilled out differently to accomodate the G2 refill (with a spring added). The refill is longer, so the tube/coupler won't need to be seated so deeply into the cartridge. I'd leave off the cigar pen centerband entriely (it's the wrong diameter anyway) and turn the upper barrel to match the case rim. The lower barrel length on the cigar kit is critical, but the upper barrel length is not - I suspect things will work out with the G2 refill.

If you really wanted to use a parker refill, I'd suggest filling the case with something (such as polyester resin or JB Weld) and drilling it out for a cigar tube. Then you could recess the transmission further into the case and simply shorten the upper barrel accordingly.

I hope that helps,
Eric

RichB

I just went out and bought and G2 and it is ,as you said about 1/2in longer than the Cigar refill. All they had was Pilot clicker G2 pens but they were only about 3.00 so I bought the fine and bold point. They were 2 pens in a pack. Thanks a bunch I think I can make this work. He doesn't want it polished so that makes it easier on that part of it. Thanks again RichB

CaptG

Have you thought about a pocket pen with this cartridge? I have made a bunch from this Weatherby cartridge. Tutorial is in the library.

RichB

CaptG I talked to him about the pocket pen but he wants a full pen with antler. He gave me to casings. I hope to keep one and try the pocket pen. Thanks CaptG RichB

Top Bottom