30-06 Bullet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Oldwagon

I have done some 308's.But a customer brought me a 30-06.It belongs to a 14 year old girl.Her father is a veteran.He was killed in a auto accident.They want it made into a pen.Do you use the whole shell or do you cut it down?I want to make this special for her to remember her father.I am waiting to find out what she wants with it.What kind of wood.I would like to hear some ideas of how to do this type of round.Thanks for your input.Todd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Do you have the entire round of loaded ammunition, or just the fired shellcase? People are pretty loose with terminology, so it might help if you posted a picture of what you have.

30-06 adapts readily to a slimline pen, with either a kit nib, or a real bullet for the nib. It can be used whole as the lower barrel, or can be cut and segmented. Wood preference is very personal - what can the girl tell you about her father that might help you make a sentimental choice?

Regards,
Eric

corian king

Hello 90% of my bullet pens are 30-06 Now i'm not saying this is the right way but here is how I do it.I first pull out the bullet then I empty the shell.i then wrap the casing in a rag to keep from scratching it and place it in a vise.I take a 16 penny nail and fire cap.Then I drill out the bottom of the casing with a 7mm drill bit.I use a piece of 7mm tube and I cut it about one half inch longer then the casing.I use 5min epoxy and glue the tube in place it fits tight on the drilled end but there is some play at the bullet end.Thats the great thing about the epoxy it gives you enough time to keep watching it to make sure it stays center of the casing.after the epoxy dries I take the casing over to my belt sander and sand the excess tube down to the casing.Now you are ready to do what ever you want for the rest.i use gold accents and just use the standard kit nib.We sell alot of these and have never had any complaints.I hope this helps and Good Luck..
JIM

jskeen

I agree, a full length 30-06 shell works well as a pen with a siimline top end. A euro top end tends to make the pen a little too long. If you don't have a 30 cal bullet I would be happy to send you one with the lead removed and the tip drilled, ready to install. If the case has been fired, the bullet may not fit tightly enough on it's own, but can be held in with a little JB Weld or soldered in. You will need to use a Euro lower tube, as a slimline is too short.

Oldwagon

This is a blank from the funeral.The local VFW was there.It is a round they fired for his service.It was given to the young girl.You can see where the end was crimped shut.I do not reload so I do not have the stuff to make it round again.I am going to straighten it the best I can.Does anyone have a picture of a finished 30-06 pen?Thanks again.

DurocShark

I don't see any pic, but... Do you have a HF (or PSI) transfer punch set? If not, get one. Those steel rods are awesome for making metal round again.

Oldwagon

I just found a picture.Yes I have the transfer set.I got a extra shell from a friend.I am going to try that one first.If the results are good then on to hers.When you set the twist mechanism do you have to seat it in much deeper?

seamus7227

Does anyone have a picture of a finished 30-06 pen?Thanks again.[/quote]

Here is a pic of my grandpa's rifle shell fired at his funeral. the nib could have stood to be a different color but i was pretty new to modifications of bullets at that time so i used some alt. ivory from exotic blanks and made my own. 7mm twist mechanism and the upper barrel is from a euro kit. I hope everyone's idea's and experience help you to create that special pen!

Attachments

• Mama and Papa's pen.JPG
    Mama and Papa's pen.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 287
  • Mama and Papa's pen2.JPG
    Mama and Papa's pen2.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 250

PaulDoug

These are '06 casings:

They make nice pens. Be neat if you could use a ribbon he earned in the service to use with it. Have you seen the ribbon pens in the library? Use to be a tutorial on it. Worth a look.

Attachments

• Pen 24-28-2 7-2008sm .jpg
    Pen 24-28-2 7-2008sm .jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 222
  • Pen 25-2 7-2008SM.jpg
    Pen 25-2 7-2008SM.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 217

jskeen

Ok, given a little more info, I'm just informed enough to ask more questions. So this a blank cartridge fired as part of a 21 gun salute at a veterans memorial service. Ok, there are several types of blanks, and which one can determine how you want to treat the nib end of the pen. If you can post a pic of the blank casing in question, it would be most helpful. Once we see what you are working with, we can proceed with the obligatory conflicting advise and other fun stuff.

Here's an example of a cartridge pen made from a service ribbon cast in resin, a single 30-06 cartridge and a piece of purple heart wood. My taste in design has evolved somewhat since then, but this one still worked for me at the time.

Attachments

• 200861215489_splitcartridge.JPG
    200861215489_splitcartridge.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Sylvanite

This is a blank from the funeral.The local VFW was there.It is a round they fired for his service.It was given to the young girl.You can see where the end was crimped shut.I do not reload so I do not have the stuff to make it round again.I am going to straighten it the best I can.Does anyone have a picture of a finished 30-06 pen?Thanks again.

Here is a picture of a pen lower barrel made from a blank fired at a military salute.
SaluteKitComplete.jpg

It is made from a 7.62 NATO fired blank rather than 30-06 Spg, but the two cases are very similar except for length. You can see step-by-step photos of the blank prep at 21 Gun Salute Pen Kit. If you have any questions, or need any help, feel free to send me a PM.

Regards,
Eric

PaulDoug

JSKeen, are you the one that came up with that design of the ribbon pen? I have a few pictures of the process but couldn't find the tutorial that went with them. I know there was one. I was alway planning on trying one.

jskeen

JSKeen, are you the one that came up with that design of the ribbon pen? I have a few pictures of the process but couldn't find the tutorial that went with them. I know there was one. I was alway planning on trying one.

Nope, that was the other Jim from Texas. jwalt191 Jim Walter. He cast the ribbons, and I can't recall seeing anybody having done so before that. I traded him out of a batch of them a while back and have posted several finished pens though. The process is pretty straight forward however. Drop me a pm and we'll go over it a bit if you want;.

James

Oldwagon

Here are 2 pics.Still not used to this camera.The one in the middle is the one from the young girl.The left is from a friend and the right is a 308.I am working on these this afternoon.Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 111

mtgrizzly52

Hello 90% of my bullet pens are 30-06 Now i'm not saying this is the right way but here is how I do it.I first pull out the bullet then I empty the shell.i then wrap the casing in a rag to keep from scratching it and place it in a vise.I take a 16 penny nail and fire cap.Then I drill out the bottom of the casing with a 7mm drill bit.I use a piece of 7mm tube and I cut it about one half inch longer then the casing.I use 5min epoxy and glue the tube in place it fits tight on the drilled end but there is some play at the bullet end.Thats the great thing about the epoxy it gives you enough time to keep watching it to make sure it stays center of the casing.after the epoxy dries I take the casing over to my belt sander and sand the excess tube down to the casing.Now you are ready to do what ever you want for the rest.i use gold accents and just use the standard kit nib.We sell alot of these and have never had any complaints.I hope this helps and Good Luck..
JIM

Jim,

Your response, specifically quote: "I take a 16 penny nail and fire cap." is something I would hope to never see in a forum like this. The one thing that has always impressed me about the IAP forum is the focus on safety, and promoting or even explaining how to deal with a live cartridge is in my opinion as a Safety Professional, is irresponsible.

I apologize to all members and observers of the IAP Forum if I come on a bit strong, but only someone with the proper tools, knowledge and experience should unload live ammunition and live primers. That should be our message always, not try to tell people how to put themselves into harms way trying to do it them self.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

pssherman

Todd,

If you like, I can deprime, resize and seat a MILITARY bullet (there is a steel liner under the copper jacket) in your casing. The bullet will have the lead melted out and drilled for a cross refill.

Oldwagon

Thanks I finished the pen.If you look at post #17 it is the one with the deer head.I took the deer head off and put on a Fancy Ti Gold clip.The wood is King Wood.I used a copper nib.This is what my customer wanted for the young girl.If she changes her mind I will make another.She is a very good customer and friend.I want to keep her happy.I know she will be buying more this fall.

Mark

Nicely Done. I certainly hope she treasures it for years to come. You did a very nice job on that memorial pen.

Top Bottom