3-Jaw Chuck / Hex Stock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

More of a lathe accessory question than a pen question. I have a project in mind where I want to start with brass hex rod and turn some detail on it.

I have a Jet mini with 1x8 spindle, and a Jet 1642 with 1-1/4x8 spindle, both with #2MT. I prefer to use my 1642 since it has variable speed. I have 4-jaw scroll chucks and a collet chuck with set of metric collets. I do not have a metal lathe.

I think a 3-jaw chuck will be better suited for holding the hex rod. I don't need much capacity - the hex stock will be no more than 5/8", and I expect the length will be somewhere between 2" and 3". I've seen the micro 3-jaw chucks from Penn State, and believe this size is adequate for what I want to do. Harbor Freight sells a similar chuck with a #2MT, threaded for a drawbar. I'm Ok with threaded or MT w/ drawbar. The harbor freight cuck with 20% coupon has some appeal.

Q: Has anyone used either of these chucks, and do they have good holding power for small metal work, and are they "reasonably" accurate for centering? I don't need perfect, after all, this is metal turning on a wood lathe.

Comments / feedback on either of these chucks is appreciated, as well as an alternative choice.

Thanks,

frank123

If you can find a hex collet for the collect chuck that would probably be the better way to go.

Both of those are pretty much very light duty things, and a taper mounted chuck of any kind has a rather nasty tendency to work out of the headstock if not kept in by using a tail stock center. I've seen the HF one and think it is meant for really light duty use and I think the Penn State one is the same chuck. Turning metal will induce much more stress than turning wood or plastic, no matter the metal.

It would cost a bit more but if you have or can find a dedicatable face plate, mounting a little larger 3 or 4 inch plain back scroll chuck on it would provide a better option and more versatility. Only thing to consider is the time and accuracy of mounting the chuck to the face plate. Those 3 or 4 inch machine chucks are sometimes available pretty inexpensively if you're not seeking very high accuracy for precision work.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Here's a 'quick fix solution' if you are only going to do it a couple of times and are on a budget. :)
Use a socket with a short extension bar. You need either the ext bar or some other way to stop the hex rod from being simply pushed through the socket. :wink:
Here's a pic ( even though it's in a 3 jaw chuck )

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 563

KenV

I hve used 6 point and 12 point sockets in 4 jaw and collet chucks.

Depending on tolerances, you may need to shim/ wedge the stock in the socket. Long/deep sockets may help with alignment.

Top Bottom