3 'firsts' in one pen, I'm excited (photos )

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Xander

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy..... :biggrin:

Just finished pen #11. It's a "Clasic American" style Fountain pen. My first FP. This is also my first pen that needed a Tenon. Had no idea how to do this.... how do I get the length correct? Well, I did it :biggrin:

Now, the blank I used was ...... Tru-Stone, Black with Gold web. Geez when I do something I go all in. :wink: Needless to say this was my first Tru-stone. From all the talk about tru-stone I was expecting all kinds of problems, but.... had none - other than my mill (for squaring) didn't do squat. This stuff is hard. Anyway, got blank all nice and square.

This pen looks .... awesome ... even if I do say so myself.

OK, I know what you are saying...

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PHOTOS

and you are right. I just had to tell someone. I'll go take a pic now. Be right back

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Xander

As promised, pics. Please excuse the poor quality. I really need to spend a day to get my settings correct.

P4050177-1.jpg

P4050176-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

76winger

Great looking pen Xander!

Yes the black Trustone is pretty hard! And if you only noticed a little trouble with it then you're probably already turning with carbide bit turning tools. Using HSS tools or even older carbon steel stools would have proven it to be much harder (and lots more time spent sharpening!). Once you get into sanding and MM it doesn't seem much different than other acrylics however.

Nice work!

Xander

Great looking pen Xander!

Yes the black Trustone is pretty hard! And if you only noticed a little trouble with it then you're probably already turning with carbide bit turning tools. Using HSS tools or even older carbon steel stools would have proven it to be much harder (and lots more time spent sharpening!). Once you get into sanding and MM it doesn't seem much different than other acrylics however.

Nice work!
I used my new woodchuck pen pro :biggrin:

Thanks to everyone for the compliments.

InvisibleMan

Very nice!

My first and only pen with that tru-stone was a Jr. Statesman. The bottom of the pen has a huge bulge because I got sick of turning it:biggrin:

Top Bottom