3 failed attempts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drcal

I ruined a total of about $25 worth of jumbo blanks today.
I am a somewhat experienced pen maker but I have only made Slimlines, Euros, Cigars and Sierras. Today, I was trying to turn a Statesman.

I got through everything just fine until I tried turning the blanks. Before I went to the lathe, I knocked off the edges for roughing and sharpened my roughing gouge. I got the same results with all three blanks: chunks came off, some big enough to expose the brass tube. I could never round the blanks. I tried 3 blanks---2 were Amboyna burl and one was Thuya burl. I have turned both woods before and had some trouble with Thuya but not Amboyna. All three blanks were stabilized.

Tomorrow I plan to try a dyed boxelder burl blank from Bill at Arizona Sil. Any advice? Sure would appreciate it.

Carmen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Carmen get rid of the roughing gouge. You said you knocked the corners off and that should help you but pick up the skew. Light passes and make sure the skew is sharp. If you don't have that try a detail gouge something where you can feel the cuts. The thing with a rough gouge you have to appoach the wood at a steeper angle especially burled wood and unless you are used to it may not be the tool to use. Can't hurt to throw some CA on it as you get started and then stop and do it again. Make sure it dries before spinning again. Hate when that happens.

Last edited:

islandturner

I ruined a total of about $25 worth of jumbo blanks today. Before I went to the lathe, I knocked off the edges for roughing and sharpened my roughing gouge. I got the same results with all three blanks: chunks came off, some big enough to expose the brass tube. I could never round the blanks.

What RPM are you running your lathe at? Usually when something like this happens to me, I'm turning too slow...

leehljp

Member Liaison
In addition to what the others have said - Try using thick CA or Epoxy or Gorilla glue for gluing the blank to the tube. A filler kind of glue will do a lot better and add strength to the wood from the tube side. Thin does not fill in the void and there is usually considerable amounts of space between the tube and blank. This will allow chunks to come out, or in other words - have a blow out.

Last edited:

mrcook4570

In addition to what the others have said, coat the inside of the blank AND the outside of the tube, then insert the tube. This will help to maximize glue coverage and prevent blowouts.

robutacion

I ruined a total of about $25 worth of jumbo blanks today.
I am a somewhat experienced pen maker but I have only made Slimlines, Euros, Cigars and Sierras. Today, I was trying to turn a Statesman.

I got through everything just fine until I tried turning the blanks. Before I went to the lathe, I knocked off the edges for roughing and sharpened my roughing gouge. I got the same results with all three blanks: chunks came off, some big enough to expose the brass tube. I could never round the blanks. I tried 3 blanks---2 were Amboyna burl and one was Thuya burl. I have turned both woods before and had some trouble with Thuya but not Amboyna. All three blanks were stabilized.

Tomorrow I plan to try a dyed boxelder burl blank from Bill at Arizona Sil. Any advice? Sure would appreciate it.

Carmen

Carmen,

You may thing my suggestion is a little out of norm, just try it and your perception will chance forever, I will doubt you will ever blow another blank again...!
In the pics you see a 4" grinder with 3 stepped sanding discs, grits 40, 60 and 80. These discs are normally found at most hardware stores and they don't cost much at all, about $3.50 or so each. Use the grit you thing will suit the timber to be work (hardness/softness), gentle passes will remove the excess wood and have it shaped in no time. Until you get used to the process, stop the grinding a little before the bushings, giving you plenty of material to adjust with a skew or sanding manually to the correct size.

Just go get some discs, try it and let us know how it went! be prepare to be surprise, I'm telling you...!:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 1196_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1196_(1).jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 101
  • timber preparation 1197_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1197_(1).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 88
  • timber preparation 1212_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1212_(1).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 104
  • timber preparation 1213_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1213_(1).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 98
  • timber preparation 1217_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1217_(1).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 98
  • timber preparation 1219_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1219_(1).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 101
  • timber preparation 1222_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1222_(1).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 115

John Eberly

Also - Clean up before you turn

It's easier to find those blowout chunks and glue them back on if you clean up all the sawdust from the lathe, the bench, the floor, and the storage shelves.

Sometimes, especially with figured and burled wood, you can stick the pieces back together and get a pen out of a disaster!

theHullTurn

It's easier to find those blowout chunks and glue them back on if you clean up all the sawdust from the lathe, the bench, the floor, and the storage shelves.

Sometimes, especially with figured and burled wood, you can stick the pieces back together and get a pen out of a disaster!

I have done the same! I thought the pen was ruined but glued the blow out piece back in and it looked fine!

Top Bottom