3/4" Gouge ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryPens

I have a 3/8th in spindle gouge now. I'm considering a larger one. I'm thinking about going to a 3/4". Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks,

Lester Moore

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CountryPens

Thanks Rifleman, I did not mention that it will be used just for pens. I'm new and have made about 30/40 pens with the 3/8th gouge and it seems like somtimes it would be easier if I had a bigger cutting surface on the wood. I think I could get smoother cuts and more consistency. At least I hope so.

Lester Moore

Daniel

Yea that's a baby alright. but it does a great job of making square things round. It's an inch and (I think) a half spindle gouge. and pen blanks don't give it a second thought. then I go to my touch up work with the 3/4, I have a 3/8 but it is just a bit to touchy for me most of the time. 3/4 or half are my main gouges.

CountryPens

WOW ! Wish I had tried this sooner. The 3/4" gouge is so much easier to make smooth passes with that the 3/8" I seem to be able to get a pen done much quicker. Does not seem to pause or get stuck as I am making a pass. Glad I spent the $$

Thanks for the input

Lester

TomServo

I just saw this thread and was about to suggest the HF set; it has a two good size gouges (that can be ground however you want). I put a semi-spindle grind on the deeper fluted (bowl?) gouge and love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom