2nd pen attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mranum

So I finished my second attempt at a slimline pen yesterday. But I have a question about my CA finish for you experts. When I had the blanks done and sanded through 600 grit I put on some Watco Teak finish I had then buffed dry with a rag then put on a heavy coat at slow speed of Gorilla super glue and proceeded the get the surface all cloudy and rough. So I lightly sanded that down with 600 again then put on a lighter coat at roughly 1000rpm. I did not keep pressure on it till dry I just put it on smooth then just let the lathe run till it was dry. The finish has somewhat of a grainy or pebbly texture . Its not unpleasant and actually looks fairly decent with a fair amount of grip to it. In retrospect, I didn't use paper towel and instead used a cotton cloth to apply the finish with, probably not a smart move.

Question is what should I do differently to get more of a glass smooth high gloss finish? I debated about buffing but decided against it for this time anyway.

Critiques are welcome.

2010_01300006.jpg

2010_01300004.jpg

2010_01300005.jpg

2010_01300001.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbostian

I am by no means an expert. I am just getting to where I am happy with most of my CA finishes but I will try and help you out some. I think you would be better off using paper towel. I use Bounty select a size and have also used the blue shop towels. Both have worked for me. There are a lot of opinions on which paper towel is the best. It is something you will have to experiment with and find what works for you. I am not familiar with the Gorilla super glue, what consistency is the glue? If you are putting on a heavy coat I think you might be putting on too much in one coat. I usually put about 3-4 drops of CA on the paper towel. I usually start with 4 coats of thin CA. Then I move to medium CA. I usually put 6-8 coats of the medium depending on the wood. Then I wet sand with 400, 600, Micro Mesh through 12,000. Then I use some plastix polish and polish it on the lathe. This is what was shown to me and works for me. You will find there are lost of ways to apply a CA finish. Whatever works for you is the best one. I hope this helps you find a method that works for you.

Jamie

AceMrFixIt

I quit using paper towels, got some nitrile gloves. Use one finger and medium CA and run the lathe slow to medium speed and spread the ca with my finger. When its cured I sand to about 3000. I finish with plastic polish too.

Attachments

• 100_0299.jpg
    100_0299.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 156

hilltopper46

I put on some Watco Teak finish I had then buffed dry with a rag then put on a heavy coat at slow speed of Gorilla super glue and proceeded the get the surface all cloudy and rough.

IMHO, if you are going to do a CA finish, you shouldn't mix it with any other finish unless it has been proven, such as BLO. As others have said, there are as many opinions about CA as there are pen turners, but I think your Watco finish didn't have time to set properly and had an unplanned reaction with the CA. With finishes, including CA, just because they are dry to the touch doesn't mean they have cured to the point that other finishes can be applied over the top of them.

mranum

IMHO, if you are going to do a CA finish, you shouldn't mix it with any other finish unless it has been proven, such as BLO. As others have said, there are as many opinions about CA as there are pen turners, but I think your Watco finish didn't have time to set properly and had an unplanned reaction with the CA. With finishes, including CA, just because they are dry to the touch doesn't mean they have cured to the point that other finishes can be applied over the top of them.

Good point! Thanks

Top Bottom