2nd Pen, 1st closed end.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aprayinbear

:cowboy:

This is only my second pen, but I really wanted to try my hand at making a pin chuck and a closed end pen. In this case I modified an Atrax kit and a blank from Exotic Blanks. I struggled a bit over the form (I think it looks a bit goofy), but I love the blank and feel good about the finish.

This blank seems to chip a bit more easily then the first acrylic blank I used, so I spent more time sanding then I probably should have. I also used a few unorthodox methods, like beginning to turn the closed piece using my dedicated chuck and a live center (gave me lots of stability), and finished with the pin chuck.

Anyway.... all suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

Happy turning!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

For a second pen it is well executed and the fit is good as well. Based on this pen we will see more good work from you.

plantman

:cowboy:

This is only my second pen, but I really wanted to try my hand at making a pin chuck and a closed end pen. In this case I modified an Atrax kit and a blank from Exotic Blanks. I struggled a bit over the form (I think it looks a bit goofy), but I love the blank and feel good about the finish.

This blank seems to chip a bit more easily then the first acrylic blank I used, so I spent more time sanding then I probably should have. I also used a few unorthodox methods, like beginning to turn the closed piece using my dedicated chuck and a live center (gave me lots of stability), and finished with the pin chuck.

Anyway.... all suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

Happy turning!

Realy nice job for your second pen, and a closed end at that !! Nothing unorthadox about using a live center to begin turning the closed end, I think most of us do it that way. Shape seems a little strange, I would have prefered a straight line so it doesn't distract from the uniqueness of the blank, but than again I'm old school. Jim S

JerrySambrook

Excellent job on this pen.
Nothing wrong with your holding approach at all.

As for the blanks being chippy, that characteristic goes away with practice.
And even if you think of thinking that you need to sharpen your tool, then do so

Top Bottom