2nd Amendment Text

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Did you know that there are different versions of the 2nd Amendment?

I'm getting ready to do another run of rifle cartridge kits with the 2nd Amendment laser-marked, and I'm wondering if I should change the capitalization and puncuation of the text. I am considering three different versions:

1) According to current rules of grammar. That is, I would engrave the text as one would write it today.

2) As it was first penned on the original document.

3) As it was written on the version ratified by the states.

Here are some quick pics of my first cartridges:
2ndAmendment_1.jpg

2ndAmendment_2.jpg

2ndAmendment_3.jpg

I chose to do version (3), as I viewed it as the actual law. History buffs may prefer (2). I suspect, however, that most buyers would find those versions odd, and want grammatically proper text (as Larry did on his 2nd Amendment pen).

Does anybody have an opinon (or even another alternative)? If you were looking for a 2nd Amendment bullet pen kit, which version would you prefer?

Regards,
Eric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I would go with the As Ratified version since it is the law.

Changing punctuation can change the meaning dramatically. Take this sign found outside a beach access point in Hawaii.

First, as printed:

Private properly
No parking allowed

And then the "vandalized" version:

Private property?
no! parking allowed.

MDEdwards

Eric I'd love to see the handwritten version. Can you scan the photo to produce something that can be used by your laser?
Michael

Sylvanite

titan2

Put the commas in........only two more characters than what's on there already......and "People" should read "people".....little 'p'. Keep fidelity with the original! (You can never go wrong there.....)

Further looking at the original......looks like "State" & "Arms" should also be capatalized.

Other than that.........Looking good!!!

Barney

A well regulated militia,
being necessary to the
security of a free State,
the right of the people
to keep and bear Arms,
shall not be infringed.

Last edited:

MDEdwards

As in the original, I prefer the small 'p' in people, just as the small 'r' in republic has significance. Some have argued that the big 'P' refers to the 'State's' authority in forming a Militia.
This may be too much discussion. Keep it up; I will want some of whatever you make.
As a former member of the NC Militia, NCANG, US Army, and currently serving in the Air Force Res; your pens delight this old warrior.
Regards,
Michael

ribanett

Looks like I started something here. GOOD! Go For It

Going with the SAINTS, I added "Who Dat say dey gonna take ma gun?"

Last edited:
Top Bottom