#2MT Drill chuck adapter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arw01

Wondering Harbor Freight yesterday to kill some time, I noticed in stock for $9.95 a #2 Taper drill chuck adapter for the lathe.

Knowing harbor freight is hit and miss on certain items, but often a few gems come along, any experience with that particular tool?

I didn't open up a box to see if the MT could be unscrewed and any other chuck just screwed on there (like from a dead makita drill or ??)

Alan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Gem.

I have a bunch of them and keep my frequently used drill bits chucked up permanently. It makes changing bits on the lathe a breeze. On this particular chuck, the tapered shaft screws into the chuck head. If memory serves, it has a 1/4"x20 thread.

Regards,
Eric

jskeen

In my limited experience, most hand drill chucks tend to thread on, and would need the 1/4x20 threaded taper that Eric mentioned. BUT, most larger chucks intended for drill presses use one of the various Jacobs Tapers to attach the chuck to the ram of the press, or the mt adapter. Bottom line, take the chuck you want to use in with you, as the different JT's often look all to similar by eye. DAMHIKT

OIC, nevermind, you are talking about tapers with the chucks already on. :) In that case, be sure that the one you pick up has a chuck key THAT FITS with it. Some of them are odd sizes, and you will never find a match if you don't get it at the same time. again DAMHIKT

Last edited:

n7blw

The only drawback to the HF MT2 chucks is the lack of a drilled and tapped drawbar hole in the end of the mandrel. Fortunately the mandrel is nice and soft and can easily be drilled and tapped. I've done two for a home-made 1/4 x 20 allthread rod drawbar.

DurocShark

Keeps the chuck from wandering out of the lathe. In the tailstock, if you pull back out of the blank you're drilling, you don't have to worry about the chuck staying behind and spinning!

In the headstock, without constant pressure it can wander back out all on its own if the lathe's spinning.

Top Bottom