27/64 Drill Bit too big???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SuperDave

I have produced four Jr. Statesman and Gentleman Fountain Pens for an upcoming show and the "New" 27/64" drill bit CSUSA recommends, makes an over sized hole. I switched to a 13/32" bit, which is a little snug but with slower setting thick CA, it goes in fine with a little smack on the bench.

Has anyone else had an issue with the 27/64" bit making a hole that is WAY TOO BIG?

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gruntster

Try some Gorilla Glue. I love the expansion of it, it may be enough to save whatever blanks you have already drilled.

IPD_Mrs

Gorilla glue will save your blanks. Pick up a Norseman 10.5mm and 12.5mm when you get a chance. It will work with the Jr Gent, Jr Statesman and Jr Retro.

Mike & Linda

Jarheaded

Gorilla glue saved 10 nice burl blanks that were for 10mm cigar pens and accidently drilled 27/64 holes in all. The customer loved the pens. I keep it around just in case now.
Johnnie

Texatdurango

Originally posted by SuperDave

I have produced four Jr. Statesman and Gentleman Fountain Pens for an upcoming show and the "New" 27/64" drill bit CSUSA recommends, makes an over sized hole. I switched to a 13/32" bit, which is a little snug but with slower setting thick CA, it goes in fine with a little smack on the bench.

Has anyone else had an issue with the 27/64" bit making a hole that is WAY TOO BIG?

Dave
Personally, I wouldn't get too excited over it, I didn't know they recommended the 10.5mm bit and have been merrily going on my way using the 27/64" bit for months now. I have probably assembled close to 100 of the Jr Gent and Statesmen kits with no problems, but I use epoxy to glue my tubes and that is perhaps why I never minded nor paid much attention to the hole size.

pipeyeti

I have been using the 10.5. I am having problems when I have to paint the inside of the blank. I may try the 27/64 on the next one that needs some color inside.

Rifleman1776

One of the problems with CS is that their instructions, catalog and website do not always agree. They are often behind on publishing changes. I always ask current specs when placing orders for kits I have never used before. The advice you have received thus far is accurate.

SuperDave

The problem with "too much" slop in the fit, is that the wood or acrylic "skin" can get way too thin on the small end and make the pen a bit too fragile.

Also, if the tube is not centered in the hole through the blank, you can get a barrel that is thicker on one side and can cause vibration when turning as well as a lop-sided/oval barrel and fit (the hole does not have to be perfectly centered in the blank, but the tube needs to be centered in the hole... especially a hole that is not a snug fit.) I discovered this the hard way by laying the blank flat while the CA was setting up and the tube settled to one side... not by much, but a 64th is a lot in our business and at 3,000 RPM it really makes a difference.

I now stand every blank vertical and have all but eliminated that issue.

Top Bottom