250 pen order

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrc

A past customer, from a College called me to place a 250 pen order. 5 years ago I would jumped on it but now it's more than I can handle right now. Sierra kits and they need them in just over a month and made from there wood and engraved. I don't think there is much chance that they can find anyone that can fill there order in this short of time.
In the near future I may be looking for someone to help with orders like this.
Anyone interested?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Glad this is just a hobby for me, after the first 50 I'd be a zombie. At least they're Sierras and not 2-piece slimlines.

Yablonsky

wow...kind of short notice...a month is barely enough time to get kits and their wood shipped.

Should find some way to divvy the order up.

Ken

WriteON

Maybe you should have several sources. Split up the order x one or 2 or 3 people.....you won't have to depend on one person.

Gregory Hardy

One possibility...

I had a similar situation arise not too long ago. It was far fewer than 250, but the timeline pressure didn't feel any different. Sadly, I wasn't smart enough to walk away from it. ("Hey, boys - I can do it. Hold my beer and watch this." That philosophy gets me into trouble sometimes, but I digress.)

Because the pens were going to have my name on them, I was very particular about the finished product. I ended up getting a fellow turner to do the prep work for me - cutting, boring, gluing and squaring blanks. He did so in lots of ten at a time for me so I could spend my time turning, finishing and assembling. I paid him a flat (generous) rate per unit for the work and was able to stay ahead of the project. Work was much faster than normal - turn ten identical units at a time. Then finish them, ten at a time.

It was a bit boring (forgive the pun) and a little anxious from time to time. Same pressure of "getting ready for a show" without the creative differences of various pen styles and types.

I wouldn't walk away from the opportunity again...but it took a lot of the fun out of something I I do with the intention of having fun. Another life lesson.

KBs Pensnmore

I was the same, got an order for 120 slimlines in September, delivery for the 1st December, not wood but a recycled plastic from printer cartridges, as the company who it was for, is heavily into recycling. I did it, but became allergic to CA, as the blanks are quite porous when cut, only the first 1/4" or so is solid.
Probably turned a dozen pens since then, as the fun and enjoyment has gone out of it.
I was running 6 mandrels and bushes, turning blanks on them, coats of CA approx 15 - 20 on each, then polishing with micromesh.
Kryn

WriteON

I would turn 25 for free - I just like to turn. I don't want to turn any more than that though.
Very cool.
I had a similar situation arise not too long ago. It was far fewer than 250, but the timeline pressure didn't feel any different.
I wouldn't walk away from the opportunity again...but it took a lot of the fun out of something I do with the intention of having fun. Another life lesson.

I turned down a Need ASAP order for 100 at a real good price. My pocket said Do It. My mind said run.

TonyL

I don't know who you are asking, but I would be happy to turn 25. I don't want to engrave them. PM me if you want some help from me and congratulations on the order.

Top Bottom