#24 AA red and red pearl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RosezPenZ

I'm needing a picture of a pen made from this blank. I found it at Exotic Blanks. I am posting from my iphone( it does not allow me to use the search feature very well). I'd really like an example with it in a Majestic type pen so my customer can decide if he likes it.
Thanks,
Rose

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew_K99

Last edited:

PenMan1

It may be difficult to make a Majestic type pen from this blank. It is 3/4 x 3/4 x 5. Technically it IS possible, but all drilling must be exactly perfect, as even a small amount of bit "wandering" will leave insufficient "meat" for turning.

All of the Majestics. Emperors, etc. call for starting with at least a 7/8 blank.

I mention this because it is a serious consideration. If you find this IS the perfect coloring and design for you project, it still needs to be big enough to handle the hardware without cracking.

Respectfully submitted.

Andrew_K99

FWIW the Majestic is 0.650" [as per the library article] and a 3/4" blank is 0.750". This, as Andy points out, is very close and requires accurate drilling. You have to be well within 0.050" [1.27mm] of dead center to make it work, realistically closer to allow for proper finishing.

AK

PenMan1

Additionally, this blank requires back painting, which could require enlarging the hole. This allows less than .10" left to handle the heavy hardware. BE CAREFUL PRESSING IT TOGETHER, hardware this heavy with AA material this thin can present "special problems".

Last edited:

PenMan1

I would PM Ed4Copies. The last time I spoke with him, he did quite a bit of custom sawing of blanks.

He MAY have a similar material that could be produced it 7/8 x 7/8. The "Princess" makes some of the best looking blanks in the market place AND Exotics is eager to help customers obtain perfection.

I'd drop a dime in the slot and call Ed:)

RosezPenZ

Thanks Andrew!!!!
Those pens look great. I think that is what my customer is looking for.

Andy, thanks for the reminder about AA, I remember now why I quit using it. So what material should I be looking for? There is a color in true-stone that may be acceptable. I've only worked with it once, how do you think it would hold up ?

Size of blank....I don't know if my equipment is 'percise' enough to handle my lack of 'accuracy'. :). :(. Guess this is here the weeding out comes in and talent shows thru. ;)

Thanks for all the ideas and help!
Rose

PenMan1

Rose:
I work with Tru-Stone on a daily basis and other than the black with gold web and the Mother of Pearl stones, I find them extremely easy to turn. Both the black and MOP make beautiful pens. The MOP does require back painting (no big deal) and it does require sharp tools and a light touch.

Additionally, almost all, if not all colors of Tru-Stone are available in 7/8 widths.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I believe the pens that have been referenced are all Madreperlato (when I sold it from the "cat"alog, I never talked about it being Italian, so we just called it "pearl").

However, when I did shows, I used the AA red pearl. The pens are very similar between the two materials. Also both materials will differ from one blank to the next--sometimes they are very "swirly" pearl, other times there is just a kind of "glow" in the finished pen. The pens sold well for me, but I usually had 4 or 5 choices.

FWIW,

Ed

RosezPenZ

First: Andrew how do you do that thing where you are typing a response and you include the link...and i cant even include in quotes what you said above..:( insert sad faces...

I want to email some of the links to these pictures so my customer can see them. He is a coworker in another department so it is hard for me to get together with him to show him these photos.

"Here is the blank for those wondering AA-24 Red & Red Pearl

It's a red and red pearl acrylic acetate.

I did some searching and couldn't come up wth much ... this MAY be the blank in question ... http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/cats-pearls-2527/

These MAY be the blank http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/...crylics-22085/ or http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/red-baron-8826/

Note the date of the threads ... they may have changed since then."
this is a result of cut & past..

2nd: Ed, what do you think about using your #24 AA on a majestic pen. would I be ok as long as I 'm very carefull when putting the pen together. I will need a fine point nib for the magestic also.
I also plead ignorant, what do you mean by "Madreperlato "?

Rose

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am not allowed to put a link here, so PM sent!

I CAN say, Madreperlato is an Italian made pearl. The AA series is just a couple thousandths over 3/4". The madreperlato is currently being made, so I don't know what the real dimension will be, it is usually .80".

Last edited:

Andrew_K99

First, I wouldn't send your costumer here! There is lots of competition that you don't want them finding!

As for finding and putting links while in the midst of a response, I open a second session of the IAP in a new tab and do my searching there and switch tabs to paste them in my response. If that doesn't answer the question or make sense let me know.

Also, for quoting someone click on 'quote' below the post you want to quote.

AK

Last edited:

RosezPenZ

So I just tried opening another tab, went to a post in which I just posted a photo and right clicked on it and chose copy short cut, so now if I say check this out "paste" http://www.penturners.org/forum/att...gnetic-graduate-tm-fp-sonic-boom-100_2717.jpg yuck all this shows up.

lets try just the copy command and now paste http://www.penturners.org/forum/att...gnetic-graduate-tm-fp-sonic-boom-100_2717.jpg

holding my head in my hands, what am I doing wrong? On your Andrew I just had to click on the underlined and different colored text and it took me right there.
suggestion at next MPG meeting, hold a seminar on how to do these things on the website.

Last edited:

Brooks803

Rose, I clicked both links and it opened up a pic of the pen you just posted. No IAP anything. Just the pic.

nevermind...I wasn't reading all the above posts. I see what you're wanting now.

Andrew_K99

Are you wanting THIS IS MY PEN instead of http://www.penturners.org/forum/att...gnetic-graduate-tm-fp-sonic-boom-100_2717.jpg ?

If so the way I did it above was automatic because the IAP software automatically retreives the title of the webpage you link to (if there is a title). If you click "go advanced" you will see an option below the message box that says "Automatically parse links in text", this should be clicked to automatically get titles of webpages.

This however won't work for an image, as the image page doesn't have a title. Do do this for a page without a title write the words that you want, IE THIS IS MY PEN, then highlight the words you want for the link [THIS IS MY PEN] then click the 'Insert Link' button above (the little planet icon), this will pop up a dialog box that'll allow you to make your text, THIS IS MY PEN, look like this, THIS IS MY PEN by pasting your link in the box.

This is how you do it here, you can do this in almost any other program as long as the format isn't set to 'plain text'. You'd follow the same step of highlighting what you want to be your hyperlink (proper name for it) and look for the appropriate button or sometimes right click on the text and you will see a hyperlink opion.

Hope this help

AK

Last edited:

RosezPenZ

Andrew, thank you I think you have answered that question . I wont be at a regular computer until Monday for me to try.

To everyone else thanks for your help I think I have found what the customer wants but I have to wait for it to cOme in now.

Top Bottom