223 cartridge pen problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Codesman

I've not made pens in quite some time and starting to get back into it. Started to make my first 223 pen today. Have made several 100 cartridge pens but never 223. Using slimline kit. Drilled bullet and loaded into casing and secured tube with no problem. The problem I am having is that the 7mm tube extends out of the casing with the transmission. I made the upper part and made the wood longer than the tube so it extends over the tube in the casing. Since the upper tube wood is so thin it broke. I have not found any tutorials on this and am stuck. Any suggestions (photos) would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Can't you cut the tube off so it is flush with the end of the cartridge? I may not be understanding the problem. On mine, I cut and file the tube flush with the end of the cartridge, ream it out a hair and insert the transmission.

Sylvanite

For 223 Rem (a.k.a. 5.56x45mm) and 7.62x39mm calibers, the cartridge is pretty short so I use a mini-cross-style refill (as found in credit card and teacher's pens) instead of a regular cross-style refill (as found in slimline kits). That way, the wood on the upper barrel does not need to extend beyond the brass tube. It does make for a short lower barrel, however, so I use a longer (euro length) tube for the upper barrel.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Codesman

Eric,

I use the slimline for my 308 & 36 06. For the 30 06 i ream the tub a bit to press the transmission in a bit further. Do you press the transmission in further on the 223 with the teacher kit?

Thanks for the help

Sylvanite

For 30-06 Sprg, I solder in the tube flush with the case head and press in the transmission to fit. For 308 Win, I fasten the tube so it sticks out of the case head just under 1/4" and press the transmission to fit. For 223, I solder flush with the case head and seat the transmission pretty deep (much deeper than the 30-06). There's still enough transmission extending from the case head, however, to securely grip the upper barrel.

I hope that helps,
Eric

StuartCovey

Can't you cut the tube off so it is flush with the end of the cartridge? I may not be understanding the problem. On mine, I cut and file the tube flush with the end of the cartridge, ream it out a hair and insert the transmission.

Why not?
But I may be misunderstanding.

Sylvanite

I will give it a try.
Be aware that there are at least three different styles of 7mm transmission out there. The one that comes with the teacher's pen/credit card pen is different than the euro transmission which is different than the slimline transmission. The debossed spots that contact the tube are in different locations. Because you have to seat the transmission deeper to accommodate the mini refill, you need to use the slimline transmission (with the ridges nearest to the end).

Regards,
Eric

Codesman

I discovered that several years ago when I did a 30 06 with a Euro transmission and could not move it. I was concerned with cutting the tube at the end of the cartridge and having to set the trans so deep.

KenV

I have also done the 223 with the standard transmission but trim the end of the refill by 7/10ths of an inch. This allows the slim line transmission to be set to a nominal depth and provides a good balance with the upper section. (pull off the plastic end, cut the tube with a dremel fine cutting wheel, and push the plastic end back on)

The "shadow" side of that approach is that the refills are not standard. The new owner gets a couple of extra refills, and is advised that the pen does not use standard refills.

Have had no complaints or "call backs"

Sylvanite

Perhaps this photo will help illustrate the problem:

attachment.php

Note that the top cartridge is shorter than the cross-style refill, so you can't just cut the tube flush to the case head and insert a 7mm transmission. To use a cross-style refill, your options are:
  1. Leave the tube extending quite a ways from the case head. You'll need to recess the tube in the upper barrel a corresponding amount - which leaves the barrel material unsupported.
  2. Shorten the refill. Now the refill is non-standard so the customer cannot easily replace it when empty. Also, if you aren't careful shortening the refill, it can make quite a mess.
The lower cartridge has a mini-cross-style refill installed. The 7mm transmission is inserted fairly deep, but there's still enough sticking out to engage the upper barrel.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Attachments

• 223Refill.jpg
    223Refill.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 376

Sylvanite

Do you have photo of the mini-cross refill installed in the transmission like the top photo?

My previous photo shows the 223 cartridge with the mini-cross-style refill extended. The photo below shows the same cartridge with the refill retracted. You can see it extending from the transmission. A refill with adapter (that screws into a 7mm transmission) attached is shown above the cartridge. A refill separated from the adapter is shown below.

attachment.php

The mini-cross-style refill and adapter are what come with the credit-card pen and the teacher's pen kits. The refills themselves (without adapters) are available at office supply stores.

I've run across adapters with two different threads - one that fits a standard 7mm transmission, and one that doesn't. Some teacher's pen kits have non-standard transmissions. I don't use the teacher's pen transmissions (for reasons stated above), so I'm careful to buy the standard ones.

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• 223AndRefills.jpg
    223AndRefills.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 430
Top Bottom