220 volts lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

I see many discussions on 220 volts for wood turning equipment in this forum. However I don't see any vendor offering lathes with 220 volts. I am unable to source for a 220 volt lathe suitable for pen turning in Singapore.
Grateful if someone can recommend a vendor for a 220 volts VS lathe.
Thanks.
Stephen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cowchaser

Powermatic 3520b seems to be a popular one. I believe all of the 220 lathes are going to be larger lathes which are capable of turning larger bowls ect... However they can be used to turn pens also.

Rifleman1776

Grizzly, Nova and Jet are more that come to mind. In fact, I believe all the higher priced, professional quality, lathes on the market prefer 220V. As for Singapore electricity, I don't know as it may have 50 cycle instead of the widely used 60.

brez

Stephen,

Some lathes are avaiable in both 120 and 220 volts. My Jet 1462 is 220 but is most often sold in 120. If you have a Jet dealer they should be able to get one for you. If you are looking for a smaller lathe you will likely need to get a 120 and use a step down transformer, the transformers are not too expensive.

Mike

Nick

My General #25-650M has a 220v motor, 1-1/2 HP and runs on 110v through some internal converter. High tourque at low speed.
Capacity 16" x 42". I love it
Nick

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I suspect that there are actually quite a few smaller 220V lathes. The problem is that many of us are US based and for us, only the big lathes are 220V. I suspect any of the Europeans can point you to a source of 220V versions of the smaller lathes. I would guess that there is a 220V version of the Jet mini VS for the non-US/Canada market.

Part of the problem finding smaller 220V lathes is that search engines like Google give priority to sites that are well linked to, so this moves US sites to the top. If you try searches for wood lathes in the UK you may be able to get some ideas on manufacturers to persue. Ironically most of the North American companies (unless you look at big iron like Oneway or Robust) are selling lathes made in China or Taiwan so you are actually closer to the source.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Nick

I am not sure if My general will run direct from 220 volt, it is a VS and that may effect the VS.
Nick
Lakewood, WA

What does your owners manual say? What has General tech support told you? I'm sure those sources would be more expert than most here.

Stephen

Thank you all for the information.
The power supply in Singapore is 220 volts 50 cycles. With the current exchange rate the USD is most attractive for me. I understand 60 cycles motors when operated at 50 cycles will drop the efficiency of the motor. Additionally not sure how a VS will function with a transformer.

I may have to settle for the US models and use a step down transformer as suggested by Mike. I have a craftsman band saw 110 volts and am using with a heavy duty transformer. It works fine.Not sure with a VS lathe. Will explore all the possibilities and come up with a decision.
Thanks again.
Stephen

Nick

Frank,
I am not looking to run my General direct on 220V it runs great as mfg. I was just suggesting that it may be possible to run it direct on 220V in case someone may be interested.
Nick

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Nick

Frank,
I am not looking to run my General direct on 220V it runs great as mfg. I was just suggesting that it may be possible to run it direct on 220V in case someone may be interested.
Nick

OK, you were just thinking out loud. It came across as a question I believed better asked of the source experts than the folks here.

Top Bottom