2 Questions About Drilling on Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

1. I have a standard Jacobs Chuck -- do I use a drawbar to secure it against the tailstock, or do I need a different type of chuck?

2. Do I lock the tailstock during drilling? It seems like there will be pressure against the drawbar if I do, but I don't see how it will produce a drilling action if I don't.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I use a Jacobs chuck.. if you put it in the tail stock, you won't need a draw bar and I use the tail stock screw to advance the bit, you'll have to lock the tail stock at the ways, but leave the tail stock screw loose so it will advance.

jkeithrussell

The morse taper end is too small for the tailstock. If I use a drawbar, it snugs up against the tailstock, but the fit is not all that tight.

KenV

Was taught that one needed to get the bit started (centered) before locking down the tailstock if one wanted to hole to be concentric with the end of the materials turning. A well sharpened bit centers on the materials.

Larger bits especially benefit from starting the drilling process wth a center drill (little machine shop has these for a nominal cost that are well ground), and redrilling with a larger bit.

After the hole is started and centered, you can either lock down and use the tailstock threads, or many just push the tailstock and bit into the wood.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
The morse taper end is too small for the tailstock. If I use a drawbar, it snugs up against the tailstock, but the fit is not all that tight.

Sounds like the wrong taper on the jacobs chuck. If you used a drawbar
in a tailstock that didn't quite fit your chuck, you'd never be certain that
the chuck is centered properly. You could waste a lot of blanks that way.

I'd go for a new jacobs chuck. They're not expensive.. and I think several
members here sell them.

jkeithrussell

Well, I'm thoroughly confused. I have a Jacob's Chuck with an MT2 arbor, just like the ones sold by various members. (It is fatter on the end that goes into the chuck, then narrows and tapers off on the end that goes into the tailstock.). I have a Jet mini (1014). The hole in the receiving end of the tailstock is nearly twice as big as the arbor on my chuck. I have an assortment of live centers (all MT2), all of which are much bigger than the arbor on my jacob's chuck, and all of which fit snugly into the tailstock. What obvious thing am I missing?

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Well, I'm thoroughly confused. I have a Jacob's Chuck with an MT2 arbor,

I have a Jet mini (1014).

I have an assortment of live centers (all MT2), all of which are much bigger than the arbor on my jacob's chuck, quote]

Sounds like your jacobs chuck has a MT1 taper, then.

The Jet mini is definitely MT2, your other MT2 centers fit correctly .. and
the jacobs chuck is smaller? Ergo, the jacobs chuck is smaller than MT2.

thewishman

I have to extend the part that screws out about an inch more than I do when using a live center. My jacob's chuch has a longer taper.

It works just fine, just extend the quill a bit to accommodate the extra length.

jkeithrussell

Look here to see the different sizes of Morse tapers to make sure you have the right size arbor in you chuck, you may be able to remove the arbor and replace it with one that fits your tail stock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_taper#Morse
Here is a source of arbors.
http://tool.wttool.com/search?p=KK&...56095168&isort=score&w=Drill Chuck Arbor&rk=3

Mike

Well, crap. I do have an MT1. Thanks to the guys at Woodcraft for giving me the wrong gear. Thanks to you for setting me straight. This explains the problems that I had trying to make bottle stoppers!

Fred

Mike, I was going to ask if the la5he was purchased new or was it used. However, since you have found that it is the wrong tailstock that answers my question. I would be back at Woodcraft ASAP and be sure to take your tailstock unit with you. It must have been switched out in error ... and that brings up a different question.

Was this lathe a demonstrator and already out of the box or did you get a new sealed in the box lathe? Either way it seems that someone either 'exchanged' it or the manufacturer make a big packaging error. Make somebody replace it for you at no charge.

Russianwolf

his lathe is fine, it's a mt2 taper on both ends. It's the taper they gave him for the chuck that's the wrong size. It can happen as some lathes use the mt1 and on many of the chucks the taper is separate. You assemble them yourself (just a friction fit).

Just take the chuck back to Woodcraft and complain loudly until they fix it.

Top Bottom