2 piece mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading Dick Sing's books and noticed he uses a 2 piece mandrel. Has anybody used one and does it work. Also I have not been able to find one at any of the supply houses.
Thanks
Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Don--I just paged through Pens from the Wood Lathe and Unique and Unusual Pens from the Wood Lathe. In the former, Dick fills the mandrel with bushings right up to the end, so all he needs is pressure from the tail stock. In the latter book he displays the more usual look with the knurled nut.

driften

The two piece mandrel is also use on one of the projects in "Turning Pens and Pencils" by Christensen and Burningham.
I have never seen one being sold though....

Hey Lou
Good to hear from you again. The mandrel in question is on page 35 of pens from the wood lathe. He states the mandrel was designed for the pen he is making. Hope this helps to ID what I was looking at. Seems like a good way to turn one barrel at a time. THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I skipped right past that one, Don! Wow, a "10MM single barrel two-piece mandrel"..."specifically designed for this style of pen". I have a feeling that this is a custom piece, particularly with the headstock piece of the mandrel connecting with a drill chuck and the bottom piece looking like it is only held on by a live center. Strange looking beast! It kind of reminds me of a couple of old timers who only turn pen blanks between centers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom