1st Time Antler pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddy1

A friend just dropped off a small antler rack. Looks like I can make one pen out of it. I know if I boil it it will soften and then I can put it in a vice to straighten it. Anything else I should know?

Does it smell when it is boiled? Gotta keep the wife happy and a bad smelling kitchen ain't the way to do that. About how long should I boil it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

What kind of antler?

I've never heard of boiling deer antler to straighten it. Must be some really small antler if you can only get one pen out of it. I'm sure it will stink like crazy; it sure does when turned.

Daddy1

It is deer antler and it is small. I have about 5-6" of semi-straight antler thick enough to use for a pen.

How does it sand?

gerryr

If you do a search on antler straightening you should find the same knife makers site I found quite a few months ago that has the details on doing that. If I recall, it needs to boil for about 15-20 minutes, then it need to go immediately from the water into the vise and the vise has to be tightened pretty quickly. And, you need to leave it in the vise until it completely cools. But, it does work. I had my best success with stuff that wasn't more than about 3/4" in diameter. It does not stink when it's being boiled. My wife definitely would have let me know if it did. It doesn't work nearly as well on old antler and don't even waste your time on stuff that's been out bleaching in the sun.

Sanding antler is actually pretty easy. I always give it a couple coats of thin CA to seal it. If you've turned into the marrow, you may need several coats.

gwilki

Kevin
I've only done one, but I can tell you that it does not stink when you boil it. But, it is terrible when you drill it. Turning it is not too bad until you get into the marrow. Then the stink is terrible. As soon as you hit the marrow, flood it with thin CA before you turn it any more. You may need to do that 3 or 4 times. If you don't do it, you run the risk of gouging hunks out of the soft marrow.
Antler sands easily, and polishes up very nicely with Novus 2 and 1.

Daddy1

I cut the antler with my band saw. It actually cut easier than some blanks. I would have to agree they will not be making cologne out of antlers any time soon.

I quit tonight and will continue tomorrow with boiling and straightening. I will be sure to take the advice given to this point and let you know how it goes.

Daddy1

My experience with my first pen is as follows:

I tried to straighten and was not very successful. My problem I think was that I boiled it in the kitchen and then I had to run it from the kitchen to the vice. It cooled by the time I got to the vice so it did not straighten. Luckily I had enough of a straight piece to make a pen.

I cut and drilled the antler with no problem. I put on the mandrel and began to turn---OH MY GOD! The smell is awful. My advice, do not eat a big meal before turning antler. It was very hard and sharp tools are important.

The advice about using ca to seal the antler as you get in to the marrow was priceless. If I hadn't done that I would have blown through the antler. There is a small crack in the end which I could have prevented had a just stopped to check my progress. Hopefully this will not be too noticeable.

I coated with c a and am waiting for it to dry and I needed a break from the smell. I will update as I do more.

Daddy1

I sanded antler and filled in the holes in the marrow with c a and sanded smooth. I even was able to repair the crack in the end with some of antler shavings and c a. I sanded with micromesh and it is smooth and has a nice shine to it. I will add several coats of c a to it tomorrow.

The marrow add nice color to the pen. I will finish pen tomorrow and take pix to add to post.

Daddy1

I did it. [:D] Below is my first antler pen. Ok I have to work on my photos I know.
The pen was easy to finish and I added ca to bring out a nice shine.

Now my problem is pricing. Someone gave me this antler(I gave him this pen to say thanks) But I can make at least 1 more pen from the antler. I know the pricing equations but I only paid for the pen kit. But the set up etc was a lot more timely than a regular pen.

Any Ideas?

>
tn_100_0940.jpg

Chasper

I made an antler pen on special order for the membership to give to the outgoing long-time president of a local conservation club. I did the pen free with antler stock provided, there was enough left over for three more pens. After that three more members came to me with antler to trade for pens. I ended up with lots of antler. I'm making lots of pens but not selling much yet.

I've made Atlas, Sierras, slims, euros, even one cigar and I'm going to try to sell them for $30-$60. I sold a euro pen/pencil set in a hand made box with the bark still on it for $100, the box took a lot more time to make than the pens.

The thing about antler pens is that they either love them or hate them. Some people are disgusted by the irregular colors, the thought of the source, the whole idea of hunting, etc. Others love them and would be willing to pay a lot. I think hunters and outdoor types are willing to spend more for antler than for wood or acrylic of the same pen style. Don't be suprised if some people think they are worthless, and don't be suprised if the hunters want to trade antler for a pen; I could accumulate a garage full of antler before I sell anything.

Chasper

Most of the antler I've used is from mounts. People get tired of them sitting around in the attic after years and they are ready to throw them away. My wife bought six sets that were mounted on plaques, she got them at a yard sale for $2 each. Several others were trades for pens. When antler gets old it doesn't stink as much.

I've never straightened any. I turn the blanks more or less round and then drill them on the lathe because there usually isn't much tolerance. When you get to the pourous area in the middle you need plenty of CA, I use medium CA here, it is the only time I've found it to be better than thick or thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom