1st problem with Elegant Beauty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I've made a dozen or so Elegant Beauties, they have become my favorite small or clutch pen, primarily because if the transmission comes unscrewed through customer accidentally unscrewing it like they can with a Sierra, you can simply screw it back on, with out making a tool to pull it back down out of the tube.
Today I finally got caught up making scrapers and getting them shipped, and got to make some pens, I used a black TI EB and a piece of Ed the Resinators alternative Ivory which does cut like butter, and made a sweet pen, the transmission would extend the refill, but wouldn't retract it, fortunately I had another kit, so I swapped the Tranny's, out, the defective one requires several ounces of pressure to push the plunger back down, which iswfar more than the spring can generate. Has any one else had any problems with this kit? I love them they have given me far less trouble than the Sierras.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I had the exact same problem with the thrid EB I assembeled. I was able to return the defective transmission and get it replaced. I've made a dozen or so since then with no problems.

Jim Smith

jttheclockman

Check to make sure the hole where the pen tip comes through does not have any hanging plating to make the hole too small and the tip gets hung up. Have had that happen to me before.

Pen Maker

After gearing up to do this hobby, this is not a post I'm happy to read. These are not good stats.

jttheclockman

After gearing up to do this hobby, this is not a post I'm happy to read. These are not good stats.

Do not let that deter you. There will always be problems here and there. It is kits you are talking about when you come down to it. Moving parts that will need tweeking. It is a fun hobby and if you stay on this site you will learn the fixes for such problems and a whole lot more. The Sierra line weather it is the Elegant Beauty or whatever the different makers call them are probably some of the classiest pen kits on the market that are not expensive and in everyone's price range. I can seee they will become my biggest sellers.

Munsterlander

Do not let that deter you. There will always be problems here and there. It is kits you are talking about when you come down to it. Moving parts that will need tweeking. It is a fun hobby and if you stay on this site you will learn the fixes for such problems and a whole lot more. The Sierra line weather it is the Elegant Beauty or whatever the different makers call them are probably some of the classiest pen kits on the market that are not expensive and in everyone's price range. I can seee they will become my biggest sellers.

I agree!

igran7

Which Elegant Beauty are you refering to? The Berea Elegant Beauty or the Dayacom Elegant Beauty? The Berea is based on the Sierra pen (same bushings and tubes) and the Dayacom version is smaller in length, different bushings and tubes and the tranny twists on the top finial instead of the bottom. Thanks.

dntrost

I have had two trannies that have failed I sent one back and still have one kit less tranny these are the Dayacom kits. So if anyone needs spare parts let me know. I no longer use these.

bitshird

Which Elegant Beauty are you refering to? The Berea Elegant Beauty or the Dayacom Elegant Beauty? The Berea is based on the Sierra pen (same bushings and tubes) and the Dayacom version is smaller in length, different bushings and tubes and the tranny twists on the top finial instead of the bottom. Thanks.
The REAL Elegant Beauty the Dayacom version, the tranny in the top is what I like about it, I've had to fix 5 or 6 of the two dozen seirras that the customers unscrewed the tranny from the nib, and pushed the transmission back up into the tube.

PenWorks

Since I have started selling the Dayacom Elegant Beauty, I have had 6 of the Gold Ti with reported tranny problems. A percentage of .0075 and only 1 in the Black Ti, a percentage that is nill. I now check all Gold Ti trannys that go out, even with that small percentage. All defective parts will be replaced.
I still think this is one of the best transmissions out there. Plus, as mention in a prior post, it is full proof for your client to replace the refill which is not always the case in the Berea/Sierra version.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Since I have started selling the Dayacom Elegant Beauty, I have had 6 of the Gold Ti with reported tranny problems. A percentage of .0075 and only 1 in the Black Ti, a percentage that is nill. I now check all Gold Ti trannys that go out, even with that small percentage. All defective parts will be replaced.
I still think this is one of the best transmissions out there. Plus, as mention in a prior post, it is full proof for your client to replace the refill which is not always the case in the Berea/Sierra version.

Tony are you sure your percentage is correct?? If so, you would be selling one style kit more than all the suppliers together...6 failed kits and the percentage is 0.0075%, that would make the number of kits 80000!!

PenWorks

Your right Rudy, that's what I get for posting late at night, and I even edited it to correct it :biggrin: Lets call it 1% bad on the gold Ti. But I like your numbers better :biggrin: :)

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
2 out of the thousands that we have made? I would say the stats are pretty good. Not everything in life is going to work as planned and if the worst thing that happens is a tranny not working, you're doing okay.

bitshird

Penmaker, The Dayacom Elegant Bierra is one of the easiest kits to make, they are very reliable, I 've bought my last 6 kits from The Golden Nib.
Anthony is a wonderful person to deal with, and out of the 14 or more this is the only problem I've had, I didn't have any trouble with the original 10 I got from Aaron at LauLau woods.
Like Neil said with thousands of these kits out, a few transmissions not working makes it a very low percentage failure rate and a solid pen in my book, the plating on these pens, the reliability and ease of a customer changing a refill, compared to so many issues like plating's, nibs being machined off center, or the myriad of troubles with other manufacturers even problems on 50 and 60 dollar kits, I like the little Elegant Beauty, because that's exactly what it is an Elegant Beauty of a pen.
Berea even went so far as to copy the detail , use the same name and just dress up a regular Sierra, which is still a nice pen , the only trouble with it is IAOE that's a technical acronym, PM for the meaning if you need to.

jrc

So far the Berea EB I have made have been very good, I like the two tone satin chrome. On all the chrome pens I make before I press the nib I check to make sure there is no chrome build up. If there is a chrome build and you put the pen together and twist the transmission it will ruin it. I've messed up to many by not to check. Some kits have more chrome build up than others. On sierra type kits I tighten the transmission with pliers and have on the instruction that goes with my pens to go to my website for a video to see how to change the refill. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9OSxFaVnuU

bitshird

So far the Berea EB I have made have been very good, I like the two tone satin chrome. ]

Jim the Berea Elegant Beauty is still just a regular Sierra with some nice engraving, The actual Elegant beauty uses a smaller tube, also to extend or retract the writing nib, you turn the top finial, not the bottom of the pen as with the Sierras,it's also a shorter pen that is well suited to a ladies clutch bag.
The Dayacom Elegant beauty should not be confused with the Elegant Beauty Sierra which is what Berea is selling, I'm pretty sure that kit is also made by Dayacom.
CSUSA is also marketing the kit under the name Aero, and offers it in some Odd plating configurations at a higher price than The Golden Nib or Lau Lau Wood Works. I just knocked out a dozen of them and that puts my total up to about 27, and had 1 minor problem which Anthony at the Golden Nib, fixed post haste, I also started tightening my transmissions with pliers on all of my Sierras other than that one weak point which has caused 5 or 6 customer returns, I like the Sierras, just not as much as the Elegant Beauty.

Top Bottom