1st pen whats wrong

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogrunner

I made my first pen today and the refill wont come out past the nib it about a 1/16 or more of being able to wright with it. its a le roi elegant royal.any ideas whats wrong
IMG_1449_1_1_1.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogrunner

I try repressing its a little better but not much and with out the sping the refill goes through the nib so its not a plating issue

lorbay

Take it apart and make sure the refill comes out of the nib. If not drill out to proper size.
Lin

WriteON

I just made pen where the cartridge would not pass through the tip. The tip hole was distorted. Looked like a bad piece. I did drill it out slightly. Inspect the tip hole for proper dimension.

sbell111

I just made pen where the cartridge would not pass through the tip. The tip hole was distorted. Looked like a bad piece. I did drill it out slightly. Inspect the tip hole for proper dimension.

He said that if he leaves the spring out, the cartridge does drop through the hole, so it's not a plating issue.

sbell111

On this kit, does the transmission press in, or does it screw in? If it screws in, trade it out with another transmission and see if it still has the problem.

Cmiles1985

It does press in. I made one last night that I had to press in pretty far before the refill would extend through the tip properly. Just keep pressing the transmission in further. I leave the refill in the pen, but retracted. Press a little more, extend and check length, retract and repeat.

dogrunner

It does press in. I made one last night that I had to press in pretty far before the refill would extend through the tip properly. Just keep pressing the transmission in further. I leave the refill in the pen, but retracted. Press a little more, extend and check length, retract and repeat.
I just tried not any better do you have any tube you can measure mine were 2.8125

Cmiles1985

I'm already out of the shop for the night, and back to doing some work. I'll measure in the morning. You are taking the finial off before pressing the transmission in further, right?

Cmiles1985

I'm already out of the shop for the night, and back to doing some work. I'll measure in the morning. You are taking the finial off before pressing the transmission in further, right?
yes thanks

I just reread my post here and realized that it could have come across in a condescending manner. In no way did I mean to sound that way. It does sound like the tube and blank length are correct. The spring, upon closer inspection, is flared on one end. It could be as simple as the spring orientation. Is there a chance that some epoxy/glue got into the tube? That may not allow the transmission to press in any further. Can you post a picture of the transmission end of the pen with the finial removed?

dogrunner

I got it to work I didn't realize I needed to press the transmission in that far in the tube I was pushing it in to the final rookie mistake. I didn't have any instructions. thanks for all the help guys

walshjp17

Smitty does not have instructions for his component sets available on his site, but he will send them to you upon request.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I made my first pen today and the refill wont come out past the nib it about a 1/16 or more of being able to wright with it. its a le roi elegant royal.any ideas whats wrong
IMG_1449_1_1_1.JPG
The only thing I know of that can cause that problem is either the transmission is not fully seated or the sleeve is not fully seated.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The Royale, like the Polaris which it came from is not terribly forgiving on the assembly of the Transmission end or the length of the tube. The transmission sleeve/clip must b pressed in fully and the transmission must be pressed in fully you should have about 11/16th of chrome on the transmission exposed when it is fully pressed in --- and you don't want much more than that. Send me your email address and I'll get the instructions to you.

Top Bottom