1st ever pen or turning anything

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeinco

This is my first pen and the first time I've ever used a lathe. The blank was an old redwood picket from my deck. Lessons learned: 1. Don't use a blank that is 2" sorta square. 2. Don't leave quite as much meat on the blank before sanding. 3. Use bushings of a better quality, got way to much "metal" on the blank when sanding. Opinions(criticisms are OK too) appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 398
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skubasteeve

Looks great!! I was using a second set of bushings for sanding... and I basically took a barrel and cut off a 1/8" piece and put that on the bushings first to leave a gap between the bushing and the barrel.

That was before I moved to turning between centers, but it worked fantastic.

OldGrumpy

Only advice I could give is put that one back for yourself. As you go forward, go back and look at where you started and compare. This one looks great but you will be surprised at the new things you learn.

mikeinco

Thanks for all the compliments, I couldn't have done anything without the excellent information on this site. Here is the 2nd one I did a while ago, funny this one took way less time than no. 1. Its a piece of Aspen, I love the knot on the back. Thanks again.

Attachments

• pen(s) 003.jpg
    pen(s) 003.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 202

plantman

Both pens are very well done !! You are a fast learner. Save the first one and mount it near your lathe or work bench for insperation. That 2" block could have been made into 4 one inch blanks and saved you a lot of turning !! Get yourself a digital calipers to do your final measurements and only rely on bushings to get you close. Jim S

rblakemore

Very good for a first two!!
Your lessons are learned, I will suggest that your second is still a bit fat.
I have kept my first pen, so yes, keep yours also!!

mikeinco

Thanks for the replies, I plan on keeping these two and see where I can go from here.

robutacion

We all have "natural abilities" however, they all vary considerably from person to person, and that is just a fact...!

You seem to have a natural ability for working with tools and have a good visual balance of dimensions and that, helps a lot.

There will be new lessons to be learnt, for every pen you turn, those are what will take you into a high level of experience and expertise, the very same roads we all have travelled, at some point so, you are in the right track...!

I see good shapes, good fit and a very acceptable finish, I see you know about barrels alignment and not afraid of knots, a great start overall...!:wink:

Cheers
George

seamus7227

Dont EVER get rid of this pen. You can look back a year later and critique your own progress! I think for a first timer, job well done! This is how you learn, so get busy and start workin on the next one!!

mikeinco

Dont EVER get rid of this pen. You can look back a year later and critique your own progress! I think for a first timer, job well done! This is how you learn, so get busy and start workin on the next one!!

Already in the works, I have some "real" blanks I'm going to start on tomorrow. Got to start on the Christmas list of 22 people.:laugh:

tangoman

Well done !

For a first pen that is an excellent job that you can be proud of !

Welcome to the addiction of pen turning from down under !

Regards,
Cam

plano_harry

I don't see anything to criticize. Looks good to me. When sanding, applying finish and polishing, the delrin cone bushings make a big improvement in the finished results. Light colored wood is hard to keep clean with metal bushings. You are off to a great start on a somewhat difficult pen.

OZturner

Excellent first two Pens,
You have a Natural Talent evidenced in these pens, and Significant Improvement between them.
I look forward to Future Postings and Progress.
Congratulations,
brian.

rblakemore

A follow up on bushings; I now consider them expendable.
Make calipers your second best friend. Work close to the bushings; but, the calipers lie less (and trial fits are best!).
I attempt to not mess up the bushings;
but, bushings happen and when it does, replace them.

RickLong

This is my first pen and the first time I've ever used a lathe. The blank was an old redwood picket from my deck. Lessons learned: 1. Don't use a blank that is 2" sorta square. 2. Don't leave quite as much meat on the blank before sanding. 3. Use bushings of a better quality, got way to much "metal" on the blank when sanding. Opinions(criticisms are OK too) appreciated, thanks.

Nice Job!

navycop

Nice work there.. I didn't read all the post but hang onto this one. Everyone says to keep the first and refer back to it often to see the progress you have made..

low_48

Quality of the bushings has nothing to do with getting the ends of the pen gray. If you sand from the center of the pen outward, and never back to the middle, you will limit the amount of steel particles getting on the wood. Nice.

mikeinco

Quality of the bushings has nothing to do with getting the ends of the pen gray. If you sand from the center of the pen outward, and never back to the middle, you will limit the amount of steel particles getting on the wood. Nice.

Good advice. Thanks.

Top Bottom