1st attempts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joe004

Here is a picture of my first attempts at turning.

Left: 1st pen with shellawax finish

Center: Pencil out of scrap walnut

Right: 1st attempt at CA finish

P3210188.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eranox

Looks good, good, and great! Am I the only one that feels like the new turners are putting my learning curve to shame?

GREAT first pens! I can't wait to see more of your work!

plano_harry

From what I can tell, the CA came out very nice. Not a big fan of wax. The fit also looks good. Pencil looks slight off at the nib, but that could be just the photo. Looks like you have the technique down and should have no problem in exploring other kits.

joe004

Thanks everyone, with out all of you guys sharing tips and tricks I would have been totally lost. The pencil fit is off some, it should have been turned closer and it has a couple of small cracks in it. Not sure what to say about the CA finish, after applying, sanding, reapplying and still getting it wrong I should have about 400 coats on it, but I guess thats how you learn. This last time after sanding I put on 5 coats of CA and am happy with the results but I some white streaks in it which I think I read are pockets of dust that didnt clean out.

Does anyone know were you can buy pen kits and supplies around Little Rock, Ar?

Thanks Again
Joe

BSea

Very nice for your 1st 3. My 1st 2 were not even in the same league as yours. Nice looking CA finish. But I'm also a fan of the natural finish. Sometimes I just want wood to look like wood.

I also sent you a PM about local place to buy blanks.

rossvh

Excellent, but now - you're hooked!:) However, it only gets better and better. Glad you have joined this forum - it's extremely helpful!
RossVH

Top Bottom